Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M/335189 James Smith 48th MAC

Chef_Hendrix

Good Afternoon,

I'm busy researching James Smith from Cobairdy, Aberdeenshire who according to his Service Records on Ancestry/FmP attested in Dec 1915 into the ASC MT, his profession at the time being a chauffeur, transferred to reserve a few days later and then mobilized in June 1917 and demobilized around Sep 1919.

It looks like he initially went to Grove Park as expected and then on to 615 Coy which according to the LLT was the 27 Local Auxiliary Coy and then very briefly to MT Depot Shortlands (possibly for a medical) before being posted to 1130 MT Coy, ASC and the 48th Motor Ambulance Convoy in Oct 1918 and finally there is mention of the 102nd Auxiliary Petrol Coy in Dec 1918 (possibly a temp loan) as he is then back to the 48th MAC on demobilization.

I can't seem to find much info on the 48th MAC or 1130 MT Coy and they do not (or I couldn't see them!) seem to be on the LLT. Has anyone any knowledge of them or perhaps point me in the direction of where I could find some further info?

IWM has some pictures of the 102nd Aux Petrol Coy badge/emblem online, well actually they don't as "no media available online". Is this something you can visit the IWM and copy for my own records?

Thanks

Gaz

'Army Service Corps 1902 1918' by Michael Young has the following:

1130 MT Coy formed 7th October 1918 disbanded 9th October 1919 theatre Western Front Role 48 Motor Ambulance Convoy

There is no WO reference which may mean no war diary.

'Postcards of the Army Service Corps' By Michael Young has a couple of pictures of MAC units but not 48th.

Referring to his number M/335189 is a late number these were allocated in 1917, if he attested in December 1915 he could have been a Derby Scheme volunteer put on the reserve list, if so his attestation form would be B2512, his late call up may have been due to having a reserved occupation.

Unfortunately the top parts of his attestation form are damaged so can't read them. He was 34, married and a chauffeur in Dec 1915.

From one form it has the following printed

Attested                    9/12/15

To Army Reserve     10/12/15

Mobilized                  1/6/17

Posted                      11/6/17

and stamped further down the page

Joined Grove Park 12/6/17

Possibly a combination of his age and marriage status that delayed his call up. Not sure about his occupation being reserved.

Married and born 1881 would make him group 40 these were called up 27/06/1916 (see LLT Derby Scheme info) and Chauffeur I am pretty sure was not a reserved occupation, curious! If you would like a scan from the postcard book PM your email address and I will send one. 

He was actually born Nov 1880 and so would have just turned 35 in Dec 1915, maybe forgot he had just had a birthday a couple of weeks ago! But looking at the groups, if he were 41 he would have still been called up at the same time as group 40.

He is still listed as a chauffeur on his sons birth certificate in Mar 1916, so clearly still doing that that job. Could he have requested a deferment with his Wife having 5 very young children?

Thank you for the kind offer, but if you're referring to Postcards of the A.S.C, I already have that excellent book. I'm working away from home today but will check when I get back.

2 hours ago, Chef_Hendrix said:

Could he have requested a deferment with his Wife having 5 very young children?

Sorry can't help with that one.