Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help ID 1918 dated pith helmet flash

westernhighlander

Hello,

I would welcome any help identifying flash sewn to side of puggaree/pagri on a 1918 dated pith/Wolseley helmet.

The device is a diamond. Top is yellow, bottom black. I have some ideas, but would like to hear what the forum members think.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

image_-922974754.png

Hampshire Regiment colours possibly.

Thanks Steve, colors match Hampshire/Hants, but they had a rectangular flash separated into two rectangular halves, one side black one side yellow as opposed to a diamond separated horizontally into two triangles.spacer.png

There were quite a few Hants battalions out East during the GW (about ten in all) so there were almost certainly various styles.

Found this, whether it is correct or not I don't know.

Chris

https://m.bidorbuy.co.za/item/144974124/WW1_PRETORIA_REGIMENT_PITH_HELMET_FLASH.html

And again

https://warstore.co.za/product/sawwi1248-pretoria-regiment-pith-helmet-flash/

Edited by Dragoon

Here are a couple of examples I have come across. The 1st Battalion was an image of a yellow tiger silouhette

Hamps Patch.jpg

Mike

A mark the same as the one on your helmet was worn by H/Qs company 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment. Worn on the back of the jacket below the collar and painted on steel helmets. You say the the helmet is dated 1918 - the 2nd Hants  were serving with the 29th Division on the Western Front then and after the war they were not posted anywhere where tropical helmets would be worn until going to Palestine in 1936. So it is possible that 1918 dated kit was still being issued then but unfortunately I have no reference to confirm that the mark was still in use post WW1.

Mike H 

Thanks for the responses. The links posted by Dragoon do show a similar flash, a diamond bisected horizontally into two triangles, the top being yellow, however the bottom triangle on my helmet is definitely black as opposed to green. The examples of South African helmets all have what appears to be a black triangle on the bottom half of the diamond, but is actually a very dark green triangle on the bottom half of the diamond.

Besides the Hants HQ flash, which seems most likely, I did come across two or three other possibilities of a similar flash used by  other units in Africa but I am not sure they even existed in 1918/WWI; in the attachments below are tables which show a yellow over black diamond used by the 28 by KAR, the Southern Rhodesia Transport Coy, and the Nyasaland Defence Force (the latter I am told is not yellow over black, but amber).

I've also included a pic of another helmet with same flash dated 1942.

I think Mike H may have the answer, meaning that this is flash of the HQ of one of an Hanfs brigades. My follow up question is, did Every brigade HQ have the same flash? It seems many of the 2nd brigade and TF served in India,Mespot, Persia, etc during WW1 through the end of the war (i.e. 1918) while the 1st brigade was only in Mesopotamia/Gallipoli through Gallipoli up until 1916 or so, so this helmet being dated 1918 is unlikely to be from any unit from the 1st brigade, but could be one of the units of th 2nd. If ss, which brigade's HQ used this flash?

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Edited by westernhighlander

As I said earlier, no fewer than eight TF Battalions of the Hampshire Regiment served in India at some point in the Great War (1/4, 2/4, 1/5, 2/5, 1/6, 1/7, 2/7 and 1/9), while the 1/8th also served in Gallipoli nd then Palestine. I'd be looking at one of those personally.

Thanks for pointing that out MH and thanks SB. So, battalion HQ. Did all of the Battalions HQs share the same flash?

WH

18 hours ago, westernhighlander said:

Thanks for pointing that out MH and thanks SB. So, battalion HQ. Did all of the Battalions HQs share the same flash?

In a word - no. I would have to wade through a lot of notes to tell you how many I have found but there was a vast amount of variation regarding these battalion marks - some did not use any identification for each company, some didn't use a mark at all as a battalion i/d.  

Mike

There is no photographic evidence of the 1/8th Hants wearing flashes at all whilst in Gallipoli, that I have come across.

2/4 and 2/5 Hants in 75 Division went on to serve in Palestine, taking part in 3rd Gaza, Nebi Samwil and other battles. As was pointed out by Mike_H, there is a vast amount of variation in these signs. Yellow and black are Hants colours (as we have seen) and my money would be on a TF Hants unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

whilst doing some research on wolseley helmets, I found this thread and wonder if it possible for you to show the complete underside of the helmet, in particular showing the liner/sweat band attachments?

An off-white top and blue bottom might also be Signals related.