Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal ribbon bars in need of identification

corisande

Identifying medals never was my strong point.

I am trying to identify the men in a 1921 photo taken in Ireland of a group ADRIC officers. I know their service records, and am trying to identify each from his medal group

Can anyone explain what they are . I appreciate that the photo is not of the highest quality, but I have to work with it

medals.jpg.06f042cfc2f0f81cd000f46a10de8588.jpg

All have been awarded gallantry medals, man on the left MC and bar, centre MC and the man on the right an MM. That should be enough to identify them.

Charlie

Yes I agree, standard trio after that in all 3. Last one has something else before and afterwards but cannot see what they are.

regards

Robert

Thanks Charlie

Simple when you know how :-)

One last question, the second row of medals for the right hand man ?

Hi

Last man 2nd row, 1st one is Victory medal, 2nd no idea, could be LSGC - cant see any colour differences?

Top row is something, MM, 14-15 Star and British War medal.

regards

Robert

Inevitably I am still struggling to put names to faces

The MC and bar is clearly one man

But I have on man with MC, MM and The Italian Al Valore medal - any thoughts anyone ?

1 minute ago, ForeignGong said:

This has a darkish Blue ribbon

So probably not the chap on the right ?

Were  British officers allowed to wear that Italian Al Valore medal ?

If they were gazetted, they could wear any foreign medal / decoration and some were given restricted permission to wear, which meant only in the country or their embassy of the awardee.

1 hour ago, ForeignGong said:

If they were gazetted, they could wear any foreign medal / decoration and some were given restricted permission to wear, which meant only in the country or their embassy of the awardee.

Thanks. I would not be sure though that the ADRIC would have been  too picky about the regs :-)

On closer inspection I‘m 98% sure the man on the right is wearing the MC & MM. As none of the colours on the Victory Medal can be made out it is quite possible that the dark blue of the Al Valore medal isn‘t showing either. 

Charlie

Thank you both for that confirmation

Logically from what I know of the officers in the photo is ought to be MC & MM and Al Valore for one of them. And that seems to be him without too much doubt, even given the quality of the photo

And thank you that link to the old thread. Looks quite fascinating using the colouring program, though I think that I do not need the technique often enough to try to crack using that software,