Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warrant Officer WARRANT

Muerrisch

Please does anyone have a WARRANT that they could scan for me: needed for an article that I am writing.

More detail if needs be by PM to me.

Thank you.

Will my Grandfather's WOII (Territorial Force) c1915/16 suit?  Note apparent anomaly  in 'from date' (29th January 1915) and signature date (14th November 1915); I've long suspected that the 'from date' should have been 1916 an error being made by the clerk who probably completed it at the time of the new year. From medal rolls, My Grandfather didn't actually get to the 1/5th LRB until July of 1916 having been in Egypt with 2/7th Middlesex prior to that.

946024767_HGSearle-Warrant-1.jpg.ad9c9a8cc388d8ca3d4a56ac46eb6852.jpg

608759909_HGSearle-Warrant-2.jpg.e1568fb2da954ad7affe5ad78c7f7ea9.jpg

The lower of the two signatures on the right is that of Sir Reginald Brade, who was Secretary of the War Office throughout the war.

Ron

Thanks for that Ron, I had in the past wondered who the signatories might be. Any ideas on the first, possibly the surname is  McCready (or MacCready)?

NigelS

Almost certainly General Sir Nevil Macready, who was Adjutant-General in France from 1914 to 1916, and Adjutant-General to the Forces at the War Office from 1916 to 1918. Before 1914 he was regarded as the Army's expert on "military aid to the civil power", and after the war he was one of the senior officers of the BEF to become Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.

Ron