Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Number56

Asquith Flats near Curlu

Number56

Can anyone help - the War Diary for 2nd Northants makes mention several times of the battalion location. For example the entry for 26 January 1917 says battalion location “Asquith Flats near Curlu in Craniere Valley.” Can anyone help with what this was and provide a location, I’ve not come across it before. Thank you. 

kenf48
On 23/05/2019 at 21:00, Number56 said:

Can anyone help - the War Diary for 2nd Northants makes mention several times of the battalion location. For example the entry for 26 January 1917 says battalion location “Asquith Flats near Curlu in Craniere Valley.” Can anyone help with what this was and provide a location, I’ve not come across it before. Thank you. 

Trench Map 62CNW Square A30 Curlu 

January 1917 map at NLS  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14.96666666666667&lat=49.9639&lon=2.8111&layers=101465281&b=1

unfortunately trenches not named on this edition, may be on other editions. In fact they are but I'll let you have a root around.

The Brigade war diary often has sketch maps but unfortunately not here simply giving the deployment as "Brigade Reserve Asquith Flats'

Ken

Don Regiano

In square H3a on the map in Ken's link, there is a "Quarry Farm".  This is close to something noted on French trench maps as Ferme de la Carriere - but I might just have thrown in a red herring?

stiletto_33853

Asquith Flats B.16.d.8.2.

tootrock

Off at a tangent, but I notice the following places in square H1 on the above map:- Walrus Wood, Gimble Wood, Mimsey Wood and Borogrove Trees.

Very Lewis Carroll, very Jabberwocky.

Martin

Don Regiano

Stiletto has got it OK - the attached French map shows Craniere to the south of le Forest and east of Maurepas.  It's not what I would have called "near Curlu"!

Clery - Maurepas - Bouchavesnes Dec 1916.JPG

Number56

Thank you so much this is a great help. Indeed not that near Curlu! 

Don Regiano
On 29/05/2019 at 16:12, Number56 said:

Thank you so much this is a great help. Indeed not that near Curlu! 

Here is an aerial photograph of Le Forest, near Craniere which you can download

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/55161657