Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiment

Doug Lewis

I know this question has been asked a number of times. I'm also aware that it is not an exact science and that it's like groping in the dark, but could anyone give me a rough idea from this service number 302161 which probable Essex Btn this man served in. He previously served with the R.W Kents Rgt service no 3543.

I have tried to look at Essex Rgt service numbers on SDGW but there are no six fig numbers anywhere near this one. Any help would be apreciated.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug,

I'm no expert on renumbering, tough subject.

If your man was renumbered via the TF system it would seem he was

a member of the 7th Battalion Essex Regiment which was allotted numbers

300001 - 325000.

Excellent article by Jock Bruce of the TF Study Group: http://www.tf.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

Do you have any specific info on your man, so we can dig a bit deeper?

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you both for your help,Michael I think your suggestion is correct,the 2/4th R.W Kents Rgt and the 7th Btn Essex Rgt were both in Palestine together as part of the 53th and 54th Divisions repectively.

Regards Doug.

Doug

I have a relative who was transfered to the Essex Regiment from the Royal Berkshire Regiment.

The new number he was given in the Essex Regiment was 302060 (very close to your man).From information within the family it was confirmed He was in the 7th Battalion and went to Palestine & Egypt.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Given how high these numbers are, I suspect these men would have served in the 2/7th or 3/7th Essex. After training they would have been posted to other Essex battalions, or even other regiments, which was common from 1917 onwards.

I have just checked my information and my relative was transfered to the 1st/7th Battalion on the 16.11.1916 after recovering from wounds recieved on the first day of the Somme,while serving with the Royal Berkshires.

Stephen

Paul and Stephen thank you for your comments.

Paul I still think my man must have served in the 1/7th as he was in Gallipoli with R.W Kents Rgt as part of the 53rd Div which then as you know was withdrawn to Palestine via Egypt as was the 54 Div which my man tansferred into with the Essex Rgt,or is this just coincidence. What do you think?

Regards Doug.