Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Khaki Drill Gallipoli 1915

NR72

Hi all

I am interested to see any examples of the khaki drill , Tunics,trousers,shorts of which was worn by Soldiers of the British Army and RND at Gallipoli

I also have some breeches which look similar to the material used, I would love to know your thoughts

Thank you 

20190121_145612.jpg

20190121_145558.jpg

20190121_145543.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what those are but I've never seen upside-down belt loops on British uniform before. Might be something totally different like WW2 Italian.

• 2 weeks later...

My interest is in making accurate models, correctly sculpted and properly painted, etc., so I've done lots of web searches and collected several pretty good texts.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought many if not all British units deployed to Gallipoli would be wearing some version of the lighter weight Indian Army KD pattern.  A careful web search should provide some examples.

Also try https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/kd-pattern-tropical-clothing.75449/  

All the best,

Dan

On 12/06/2019 at 15:03, Dan Morton said:

My interest is in making accurate models, correctly sculpted and properly painted, etc., so I've done lots of web searches and collected several pretty good texts.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought many if not all British units deployed to Gallipoli would be wearing some version of the lighter weight Indian Army KD pattern.  A careful web search should provide some examples.

Also try https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/kd-pattern-tropical-clothing.75449/  

All the best,

Dan

Hi Dan, I can only see evidence of officers in KD in Galipoli 

• 2 weeks later...

Is this photo of interest? It's quite well known.

Shared and reused for non-commercial purposes, and attributable to the IWM Collections
IWM Reference: Q 13324

Object description

Men of the 2nd Royal Naval Brigade, Royal Naval Division, practising an attack from a trench in the Island of Imbros. June 1915.

The IWM site is playing up, presumably because their PDM website goes live later today.

Imbros2.JPG

Here's a close-up from a larger image

IWM Catalogue number
Q 13514

Captain Stephen Hungerford Pollen, the Military Secretary to General Ian Hamilton, showing DSO and Military Crosses (still in their cases) to the Guard of Honour of Surrey Yeomanry [on the left], [ratings of the Royal] Naval Division [centre] and Australian Army [on the right, but omitted from this snip]. Medals are about to be presented to the three officers of the French Mission (Commandant de Cavalerie Jean De Bertier de Sauvigny with the DSO, and Lieutenants Félix Alexandre Jean Léon de la Borde and Paul Eugène Pelliot with the Military Cross).

Q_13514_fus_marins.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2019 at 20:46, Wardog said:

Berkshire Yeomanry in SD post 60. Regards, Paul.

Dear Paul and NR72,

As the topic for entreching tools closed, I will start a new one about those items, when I will be back from Tanzania. 

Regards

D.