Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22878 Pte Barnett Miller Royal Welsh Fusiliers

gary thomson

Hi, I am looking for some assistance in finding this lad. He is listed on the original Dundee Roll of Honour and a Dundee Newspaper War memorial supplement both created in 1925. His entry is very sparse 

B MILLER PTE, LONDON WELSH FUSILIERS, NETHERGATE, DUNDEE.

Yesterday a friend found these 2 obits in the local Dundee newspapers and a photo of B Miller

B. Miller   1st London Welsh Fusiliers

DUNDEE SOLDIER KILLED.

Mr Arthur A. Miller, furrier, Nethergate, Dundee, has received intimation that his eldest son, Private B. Miller, of the 1st London Welsh Fusiliers, has been killed in action.

Private Miller enlisted on the outbreak of war, and has been ten months at the front.  He was 32 years of age, and leaves a widow and four children.

Dundee Courier 21st July 1916

Intelligence has been conveyed to Mr A. A. Miller, furrier, Nethergate, that his eldest son, Private B. Miller, London Welsh Fusiliers, had been killed in action in France.  Deceased who was well known in Dundee, joined the forces at the outbreak of the war, and had served ten months at the front before meeting his death.  He is survived by a widow and four children.

Dundee Peoples Journal 22nd July 1916

I have searched for anyone who would fit the info we have on him on C.W.G.C. & S.D.G.W. with no luck, I have also checked the Scottish National War Memorial and drew another blank. I have also checked the surname Millar with no luck. I would assume that as he was reported as kia, then there would be some record of him, Anyone able to help and find this man so that he can be fully recognised on the new online Dundee Roll of Honour, See here

Many thanks, Gary.

Miller B. 22-7-1916 - Copy.jpg

Edited by gary thomson

Hi Gary,

An interesting puzzle.

A few observations-

There was no such regiment as the 'London Welsh Fusiliers'. I wonder where the paper picked this up from. I guess the Roll of Honour merely repeated that mistake. The regiment that springs to mind is the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who did habe 2 London Battalions: 15th (Service) Battalion (1st London Welsh), and 18th (Reserve) Battalion (2nd London Welsh). I suppose one should also consider other fusilier regiments that the name could be confused with eg. Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment, London Scottish Royal Scots fusiliers etc. There may be others I'm not familiar with.

However,  The RWF only lost 3 Millers during the war, all 3 in the Autumn of 1918.

You're right, there is no obvious CWGC entry for a likely candidate by that name in the timeframe of summer 1916.

I suppose the first step should be to identify what B. Miller's forename was. A search of Scottish Census and Birth  records could reveal that.

A search for later civilian death records for that name could support or disprove the newspaper report.

Armed with that information, a targetted search could be made of the Soldiers' Effects Records, seeing as there is no obvious CWGC entry. One might hope there would be a surviving service or pension record (odds only 1 in 5).

The options are :

Wrong name/alias/wrong regiment

False newspaper report.

Non Commemoration

Very interesting.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

His entry on the CWGC database:

MARLINSKI Private 22878       BARNETT

Tuesday, July 11, 1916

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL Pier and Face 4 A.

Royal Welsh Fusiliers

United Kingdom

Good spot Alf!

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Hi Alf, many thanks for finding him so quickly. Can you please tell me what is says on ancestry as i do not have access to that site.

All the best, Gary.

Gary,

It’s a family tree and confirms that Benjamin Barnett Malinsky or Miller was the oldest son of Arthur Adolph Miller, Furrier. Arthur married Annabella Brown in Dundee, but Benjamin was born in London in September 1884.

Arthur was born in Lithuania and married 4 times.

First to Esther Hester Barnett in London in January 1884.

Then Minnie Maud Hughes in Rotherhythe in 1902.

Then Annabella Brown in Dundee in 1912.

Then Jessie Turnbull Robertson in Glasgow in 1922.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Gary,

The British Jewry Book of Honour shows an address...

image.png.c7d538c7f2da35c72edcb1fd5a6d4591.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

His Soldiers' Effects record names his wife as Rose. The amount of War Gratuity paid is indicative of an enlistment of circa February 1915 [- papers exist for a 22877 Chaplin (15/RWF) which show that he attested 2.2.1915]. His medal rolls indicate that his overseas service was entirely with the 15/RWF - arriving in theatre 3.12.1915; KiA 10/11th July 1916. 

I hope that the info in the Ancestry tree is correct.

Regards

Chris

Hi Alf, many thanks for finding him so quickly. Can you please tell me what is says on ancestry as i do not have access to that site.

All the best, Gary.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to search for my man, your kindness is much appreciated.

Gary.

• spof changed the title to 22878 Pte Barnett Miller Royal Welsh Fusiliers