Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Medals

Slingo

Dear Sirs,

Comparisons are not always simple.

Regarding the DSO and the VC - how should I compare them reagrding German medals ?

VC:    does it correspond with the Pour le Mérite ?

DSO:  does it correspond with the Iron Cross 1st class 

kind regards,

Gunther

Gunther

The best approach is to compare what the criteria are for each award. 

The Victoria Cross is the highest award for gallantry in the presence of the enemy by a member of the armed forces.  Civilians under military command may also receive the award although this has not happened since 1879. If the criteria for the Pour le  Mérite are the same then the medals can be considered as corresponding.  Apart from Australia, New Zealand and Canada instituting their own honours system in the 60s and 70s, the criteria have remained the same since the beginning.

The DSO is a little different as the criteria changed a little over the years.  The criteria during the Great War are spelled out here:http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-gallantry-awards.htm..  Again you should consider the criteria for the Iron Cross 1st Class and decide whether they correspond.  One thing I note is that the Iron Cross 1st Class was for all ranks and required previous awards at the 2nd Class level.  

Hope that makes sense.  As you say it is not simple as the honours systems are different to start with.

Max

Hallo Max,

Thank you very much for your kind help; yes- it is better to compare the criteria instead of estimating assumed values.

Reading the criteria I notice that all the four medal's criteria overlap at certain points.

The VC and the Iron Cross are eligible to every rank , but the gallantry criteria of the VC overlaps with the criteria of the Blue Max.

The DSO overlaps with the Blue max regarding rank restrictions and overlaps with the Iron Cross regarding gallantry.

Shortcut: all four medals are similar in the meaning they had to the soldiers and the gallantry that had to be demonstrated.

They were top notch.

This applies for the Great War.

Criteria and common practice is a further question that has to be taken into account.

The Iron Cross for ex. during the Napoleonic Wars is not the same Iron Cross of the Great War.

This counts for all medals during their "lifespan".

kind regards,

Gunther

Genau

Agree entirely which is why I did not attempt some sort of simple comparison, andere Laender andere Sitten

Regaids

Max