Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Sherwood Foresters - injuries in incident involving gas during training

Bill

The family story is that my grandfather, Reginald  Barnes Smith, was injured during gas training in 1915 or early 1916(?).  He was medically discharged.  His unit - 2nd Battalion(?)  Sherwood Foresters - then fought in the Easter Rising.  Can anyone provide enlightenment?

clk

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have any more details of your grandfather? The only records that I saw for a man with the same full name were for a Reginald  Barnes Smith, born 18.8.1900 in Sudbury to parents Joseph and Ellen. That man had WW1 service, but not until September 1918.

Regards

Chris

sotonmate

No more fortune in fitting your details together specifically than clk !

There are 3 soldiers from SF with medal cards, all just with the first name of Reginald, none are shown with 2 Battalion, one (6098) has 10 Bn,one (2092 and 240409) 1/6 and 2/6, and the third ( 307001) 2/8.

You may be interested to read this article about 2 Battalion in the Easter Rising :

https://www.storiesfrom1916.com/1916-easter-rising/sherwood-foresters

Also if your man was medically discharged he would have had a Silver War Badge (irrespective of whether he served only at Home or overseas) and there are digital lists where this can be checked and these will give dates of enlist and discharge, and reason.

sotonmate

Inconsistency here ! I have read the War Diary for 2 SF (WO95/1624 at Kew or on Ancestry UK) and they are shown on 26 April 1916 (when they are supposed to be arriving in Dublin according to the above link) as being at Camp G at Poperinghe, Belgium. This Diary runs from Nov 1915 and for most of the war, and up to May 1916 from the pages I skimmed, they are either in France or Belgium.

PRC
Posted (edited)

Isn't it the 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/7th who were sent to Dublin. The officer shown as died  on that link, Captain Christian "Freddie" Dietrichsen, is on CWGC as 2nd/7th.

One of the MiC's is for a Reginald Barnes, 1/6th and 2/6th, so possibly relates. However to add to the confusion the National Archive has a MiC for a Military Medal for Reginald Smith, 1/6th Sherwood Foresters but has "No.62" in the London Gazette space. His main MiC has him qualifying for the 1915 star and disembodied 19th March 1919. 

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

mark holden
50 minutes ago, PRC said:

Isn't it the 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/7th who were sent to Dublin. The officer shown as died  on that link, Captain Christian "Freddie" Dietrichsen, is on CWGC as 2nd/7th.

One of the MiC's is for a Reginald Barnes, 1/6th and 2/6th, so possibly relates. However to add to the confusion the National Archive has a MiC for a Military Medal for Reginald Smith, 1/6th Sherwood Foresters but has "No.62" in the London Gazette space. His main MiC has him qualifying for the 1915 star and disembodied 19th March 1919. 

Cheers,

Peter

2nd Bn SF did not serve in the Easter Rising as Peter said it was the second line Territorial Battalions who were involved. 

clk
Posted (edited)

Hi,

1 hour ago, PRC said:

Isn't it the 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/7th who were sent to Dublin

Yes. As part of 178 Brigade (59 Division), the 'divisional history' says that the Brigade was "..selected as the first to proceed to Ireland". Leaving from Liverpool, they landed in Kingstown on 25th April, and marched to Dublin. Casualties of the advance - especially near a bridge over the Grand Canal  (Northumberland Road) "approximately 5 Officers and 150 Other Ranks".

As sotonmate says the 2nd Battalion were nowhere near. 

I think that that the OP really does need to provide more details so that we can try to help.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

stevebecker

Mate,

Can I say gas accidents during training were often happened.

As a former Gas instructor we sometimes had accidents if the soldier didn't like the gas in the chamber.

This could be because the instructor had to much when he started, as the first men in often got the full effects rather then the later men.

We always had medical help waiting as some men just didn't like it and hit them badly, while others could stay all day without much effects?

I was gassed more times then I can remember, back in the old days (70's and 80's) but came through it OK.

I don't know if this training still goes on in the Army, as times have changed, but it was always fun on these special days, which cleared the nose out nicely.

S.B

Bill
On 22/05/2019 at 15:13, clk said:

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have any more details of your grandfather? The only records that I saw for a man with the same full name were for a Reginald  Barnes Smith, born 18.8.1900 in Sudbury to parents Joseph and Ellen. That man had WW1 service, but not until September 1918.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris.  His date of birth was 18.8.1900 and those were his parents names so seems likely! 

clk

Hi Bill,

In which case his service papers appear to be on Findmypast - here. They should also be available from Ancestry.

Regards

Chris

Bill

Thanks Chris.