Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Helmet

David Filsell

My son has recently given me a dark olive green French infantry helmet for which I am making a ‘hat stand’.

My ignorance on the subject of helmets is total  - like much else!

The liner is in severely distressed form. Inside the helmet is what appears to be a yellow crayon figure 54. Would this be the size and is it possible to obtain a new repro. liner and if so from where?

Regards

David  

Have you checked that it is indeed WWI French?  Sorry if that sounds patronizing but there are many variants and nationalities that used these and of course there are the WWII used versions.

I would assume the 54 is the metric size.  I believe repro liners are available, try a google or ebay search.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/183745847724?chn=ps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152339600030?chn=ps

Sound like a 1926 style Adrian. Is the helmet made out of 4 separate pieces riveted together(including the comb)? If the answer is yes then its WW1.

Edited by Jools mckenna

Thanks team. Most helpful 

I can see 4 rivets attaching her on the comb of the helmet two and on each attaching the front section to the back, The frontal badge states RF. The chin strap is very dark brown and worn. The colour closely matches the American drab green of WW2  with worn paint and some slight signs of rust.  I do not intend to repaint it. The remnants of the liner are brown leather.

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards

David   

Sounds like a 1915 style French Adrian. Sounds like it was repainted for use in WW2.

Jools,

Thank you. Appreciated 

Excuse my ignorance but what would have been its original colour. I ask out of interest - at the moment it "is what it" and I do not feel I should repaint it.

Regards

David  

Horizon Blue.

ODc3QkE4OUQyRTA4RERBQzNERkM6OTA2ZGFhNzVjM2I1ZmI0MDc3MDliYWUzNjJkNGExMTQ6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Jools,

Many thanks. It looks as if the no 47 was a red herring. In searching for a liner, there seems to be none available from repro  sellers so small. 

However  I appreciate your guidance.

Regards

David

As an addition to the above, does anyone know the measurement of the smallest Adrian's made? On checking it seems 47 cm is a child size for a hat! 

15 hours ago, David Filsell said:

As an addition to the above, does anyone know the measurement of the smallest Adrian's made? On checking it seems 47 cm is a child size for a hat! 

you said 54 in your original post.....47 is tiny but even 54 is very small

David,

Great War period - Model 1915 - Adrian helmet shells, that is without the liner in place, were manufactured in three sizes measured around the interior circumference of the bowl, namely 60, 63 and 66cm.  With the liner in place there were nine sizes from 54 to 62cm.  The difference in size was achieved using two or four corrugated aluminium strips attached between the helmet shell and liner.  The strips were manufactured in two different depths of corrugation.  Having said this it is not unusual to find a helmet with some or all of the strips removed.  

Regards,

Michael. 

Jerry & Michael 

Thank you both. Most helpful.

Will measure circumference.

No aluminium strips on mine.

I am just making a hatstand for the helmet from a nice piece of inch and a half mahogany, quarter inch round brass rod, with a top plate made to fit the helmet sans liner which I can resize when I find a liner to fit the helmet 

Regards

David