Service Number 1788

Died 28/04/1918

Aged 41

12th Bn.
King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Buried at HAMBURG CEMETERY

Number of casualties: 2096

Cemetery/memorial reference: IV. F. 8.

Arthur was one of three brothers who died in the war, In 1906 he travelled from Dewsbury to visit his uncle in Chicago and two years later took Lillian, his newly married wife out there . On the 1911 UK census they are back in Dewsbury with a daughter Evelyn allegedly born in Chicago.

I have found their outgoing passenger records but can anyone advise me where to look to find their return passages to the UK, neither can I find a birth for Evelyn.

I am not asking for downloads etc, just advice on where to look, apart from the obvious major genealogy website. which does not show anything other than the above.

Thank you

Difficult :-(

1. You might have more luck than I with the Mormon site www.familysearch.org  I could not find anything for the family apart from UK 1911 census

2. They do not seem to be in 1910 US census, indicating that they had left by then

3. There do not seem to be many online records for UK arrivals 1908 to 1910

I have now managed to find incoming passenger records but US births for Evelyn Duxbury is proving difficult. I guess the phonetics of a Broad Yorkshire Accent might have been tough for a US Registrar to comprehend

Maybe the birth was registered when they got back to Britain?  There's a possible birth in Blackburn in 1909, although this may be a long shot.

Good point, although the GRO Record gives mother's maiden name as Huddlesten for this birth

Edited by Peter Bennett
update

5 hours ago, Peter Bennett said:

Good point, although the GRO Record gives mother's maiden name as Huddlesten for this birth

Hi 

This birth was registered in the Oswaldtwistle sub-district (www.lancashirebmd.org.uk)

Regards, Tony

9 hours ago, Peter Bennett said:

I have now managed to find incoming passenger records but US births for Evelyn Duxbury is proving difficult. I guess the phonetics of a Broad Yorkshire Accent might have been tough for a US Registrar to comprehend

Hi

Have you considered alternative spellings of Duxbury? I am a Duxbury researcher so I would suggest you considered Duxberry, Duckbury etc

Tony