Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fire Support 9th Scottish Division 24/25 April 1918

mikereme

Hello Everyone,

Could this great forum give me the the name of which artillery unit was giving fire the support to the 9th Scottish Div 24/25/26 April 1918....especially the 5th Cameron highlanders (St Eloi Sector)...during the german spring offensive in Ypres..

If possible the exact locations of these Guns!

I thank you in anticipation

Edited by mikereme
spelling

Unless someone has particularly studied that period, you may find that question unanswerable without a considerable amount of work.  The 9th Division Commander Royal Artillery's diary has a narrative of events which you should read and planned firing tables which list (I may not have counted them all) 5 brigades of the 9 Div artillery plus other brigades of 6th Division.  There was also heavy artillery allotted.  Finding out where they all were would be difficult.  The narrative shows that the German offensive opened, at 2 30am, with "a very heavy bombardment with all calibres with gas and HE.  Brigade HQs, battery positions roads and back areas heavily shelled" not a day when the batteries all stayed where they were as if on a firing range!

The narrative goes on to describe batteries having to move and some guns having to be abandoned and "the enemy was fired on wherever and whenever he showed himself".  You may wish to take the narrative and read it alongside that of the Camerons on the two days.  Grid references and places mentioned in both may lead to who was doing what.

Max

Hi Max,  understand exactly thank you so much...