Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this military hospital?

Burtonian

The attached photograph shows my grandfather, standing, and was taken spring 1918, but I don't know where exactly. It occurs to me that there's a moderately distinctive building in the background which may allow someone more knowledgeable than me to positively identify which military hospital this is. So, how about it, is anyone able to assist please? I am able to say it'll be either France or UK, and I do know he spent some time at Netley Hospital, although I don't know the precise details.

img539.jpg

Milner: interesting comment about the flag pole; I'll have to have a think about that!

Max: short answer is 'no'. What I do have however is his original 'Small Book', which states he was wounded in the right elbow 9 Apr 1918, first day of the Battle of Estaires, so the photograph obviously dates from sometime shortly after that. I know that when he got to the UK he ended up at Netley Hospital, but I can't identify the building in the background on any of the various aerial views of Netley Hospital I've been able to find online. That's why I thought perhaps the photograph might have been taken at some 'intermediate' location, Etaples say, or somewhere else in northern France, or perhaps in the UK. Maybe the "nautical flag pole" comment might suggest somewhere like Portsmouth or Folkstone, say? I feel this might ultimately be solvable, which is of course why I asked here.

Guesswork but would the blue hospital uniforms only have been issued in UK.  If so that at least brings it this side of the channel!

Max

The building shown in the second pic might be a swimming bath or similar.  The flag pole had triggered similar thoughts as Milner’s.

d

• 1 month later...

Just another comment on the structure of Netley Hospital of the period. It had a small village of various wooden huts behind the main edifice, plus the nurses home/barracks.

There are pictures of Netley on this site: https://www.qaranc.co.uk/netleyhospital.php and I don't think the huts are the same. More specifically, I can't see anything like that distinctive skylight/lantern structure on the roof ridge.

Hello, I would say your photograph was taken in Netley. Here is one of the buildings that was built as part of the Red Cross hospital. It looks very much like the one in your photo. I would love to know more about your grandfather so I could add his story to my site if you are agreeable.

www.netley-military-cemetery.co.uk

image.png

Now that does look like a match - I was wrong ... (not for the first time).