Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eating in Passchendaele

Neil Mackenzie

Any suggestions for a mid week lunch time stop in Passchendaele. We don't need much - croque monsieur type food rather than a multi course meal.

I see there was the Passchendaele Pub but the lack of a website or recent reviews on Trip Advisor makes me think it has closed.

Cheers

Neil

I recommend de Volksbond in Zonnebeke. The Passchendaele Pub has closed indeed.

Jan

There is a decent bar in P'daele, just past the bus stop on the right hand side coming from Tyne Cot. Have only ever had a drink there but I imagine they do snacks too.

Also a place on the opposite side a bit further along towards TC.

Hi

id also go to Zonnebeke, the restaurant in the chateau grounds is expensive and you usually have to book days in advance. The other is just outside on the Ieper straat opposite Berten straat and does a good meal with a varied menu

Dave

Another vote here for the Voksbund in Zonnebeke. Very good food and if you just want a snack, the soup is always excellent, as is the accompanying bread.

Avoid the pub on the roundabout opposite the Zonnebeke church (Corner Pub?) unless you have a long time to wait for them to make you a sandwich - usually a good half an hour after you've ordered it.

Being a cheese fan and former cheesemaker, I can recommend the Passchendale Cheesemakers

situated about a mile from Tyne Cot. They do cheese platters and beer, coffee etc

Regards

Geoff

Thank you everyone.

I am always amazed that there is so little in the village of Passchendaele itself. I appreciate the locals might not want loads of visitors but they have a major battle named after the place and there is almost nothing there.

Might give Moorslede a try as a bit nearer than Zonnebeke.

Neil

a B&B we used to stay in got revues including "nowhere to eat locally" but was clean and had tv , St Pol had a McDonalds built on top of the hill until the locals decided they didnt want their kids grouping up, so, although building done not been fitted out inside and car park a mess. most towns and villages "shut up" after work shutters come down, one possible reason no one saw our break in, other factors include rising rates and costs and no money for niceties.

thanks Craig.

Edited by chaz
Edited to remove comment

On 21/05/2019 at 14:54, Neil Mackenzie said:

Thank you everyone.

I am always amazed that there is so little in the village of Passchendaele itself. I appreciate the locals might not want loads of visitors but they have a major battle named after the place and there is almost nothing there.

Might give Moorslede a try as a bit nearer than Zonnebeke.

Neil

As far as I know, I doubt you will find much in Moorslede...

I have hidden a post in this thread - can we please keep it polite and not resort to comments regarding individuals or nationalities.

Craig / Moderator

23 hours ago, AOK4 said:

As far as I know, I doubt you will find much in Moorslede...

You are not wrong! But there is a Carrefour with a bar opposite so we can always go there.

As we are going to Slypskapelle afterwards we would probably be better off eating in Dadizele especially as one of the group is vegetarian (De Klokke looks nice).

Neil