Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lee-Metford question

Nutting

Could someone with access to a Lee-Metford grab a ruler and let me know how far the cleaning/clearing rod extends beyond the bayonet stud?  Inches or mm, either will do.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Dave,

Many thanks, and you even sent it in Imperial units! It’s for a blog post I’m writing and my local Lee-Metford owner is on holiday. 

Thanks again,

Nigel

Dave,  I read recently that the individual cleaning rods are quite short and that it was necessary to screw 2 together to make a full length rod.  Any comments on that?

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel, the clearing rod I've pictured is 27.5 inches long. Assuming it is original to the rifle, (and all manner of things happened to the long Lee variety of rifles before they arrived in U.S.) the barrel length of a Lee Metford Mk I is just over 30 inches, so presumably there would have been no need for a second rod. But those experts on the forum will correct us I'm sure.

Dave

Dave,  I went back through yesterday’s internet search history and found the topic.  It actually referred to Lee-Medford carbine cleaning rods, which were only 17” long and screwed together to make a usable length.

N.

The rod for the Lee Metford Mk.I is in one piece.  It has a left hand thread.  The rods for all the later Lee Metford & Lee Enfield rifles and carbines have to be joined together and used on the budy-budy system. Below LM Mk.I*, LM/LE Rifles & LM/LE Carbines.

1497444316_DSCN2743.JPG.818898317b6a598ad7d2f114856ddccb.JPG

3 hours ago, Terrylee said:

The rod for the Lee Metford Mk.I is in one piece.  It has a left hand thread.  The rods for all the later Lee Metford & Lee Enfield rifles and carbines have to be joined together and used on the budy-budy system. Below LM Mk.I*, LM/LE Rifles & LM/LE Carbines.

1497444316_DSCN2743.JPG.818898317b6a598ad7d2f114856ddccb.JPG

Terry,

Thank you.  When you say it has a LH thread, is that at the head end for adding e.g. a wire brush, or is it at the tail end to secure it in place beneath the barrel? Talking of which, after the rod passes back through the bayonet stud, is there simply a hollow beneath the barrel where the rod sits? I can see I need a Lee-Metford of my own!

Nigel

Edited by Nutting

Nigel,

The thread is on the tail end to secure the rod into the rifle. The head is blind. Yes, the rod fits into a hollow exactly the same as  with the later rifles.

I attach a photo of the ends of the rod for the LM Mk.I and also the version that fits the later LM and LE rifles.

Terry.

Clearing Rods Metford & Enfield (1).jpg

Edited by Terrylee

Terry,

Thanks again.  What does it screw into at the tail end to secure it in place? Wood or metal?

Nigel

Nigel,

Screws into the same lug as used to secure the main trigger-guard screw.

Terry

DSCN  2746.JPG

2 hours ago, Terrylee said:

Nigel,

Screws into the same lug as used to secure the main trigger-guard screw.

Terry

Terry,

Many thanks, that answers my question perfectly.  Do you know why it has a LH thread?  Seems counterintuitive?

I am writing a blog post about the Patt.88 bayonet - may I use your (excellent) photo as an illustration?

Nigel.

Nigel,

I have no idea why the early thread was left hand and of such a peculiar form. (Same on the Martini Metford rifles) Perhaps the fact that it was never again used on the later rods speaks for itself! 

By all means use the photo. 

Terry