Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Great Grandad in WW1.

Further on from my other posts a while ago, I now have more pictures of my great grandad. One of them is him in a football team and on the front of the ball are the letters "ARS". Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm guessing something to do with the RAF?? Thanks!

The Long, Long Trail's list of abbreviations has 'Advanced Regulating Station'. 'Fraid I don't know what that is but I think it's more ASC (Army Service Corps) than RFC..

Mike

8 hours ago, Langdon said:

The Long, Long Trail's list of abbreviations has 'Advanced Regulating Station'. 'Fraid I don't know what that is but I think it's more ASC (Army Service Corps) than RFC..

Mike

He was in the Royal Flying Corps then The RAF.

Hi,

For the benefit of other Pals, I think that this is what Steve is talking about...

image.png.d78b22860865e7836b3b757c831ad4c6.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Steve - might it be worth asking the Mods to move the topic from the 'Soldiers' sub forum to 'Air personnel and the war in the air'?

Regards

Chris

10 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

For the benefit of other Pals, I think that this is what Steve is talking about...

image.png.d78b22860865e7836b3b757c831ad4c6.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Steve - might it be worth asking the Mods to move the topic from the 'Soldiers' sub forum to 'Air personnel and the war in the air'?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks, yes that what im talking about. Yes please mods can you move this to the appropriate section?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Steve_1975 said:

Hi Chris, thanks, yes that what im talking about. Yes please mods can you move this to the appropriate section?

Should be in the correct section now.

Craig

48 Training Depot Station was formed 4.7.18 at Waddington in 27 Wing

27 Wing were formed at Waddington 5.5.17 to control Waddington and later Hucknall. The ARS was formed the same day

27 ARS is the 27th Wing Aircraft Repair Section who assembled and repaired machines within 27 Wing that were beyond the capacity of the unit itself

4 minutes ago, nieuport11 said:

48 Training Depot Station was formed 4.7.18 at Waddington in 27 Wing

27 Wing were formed at Waddington 5.5.17 to control Waddington and later Hucknall. The ARS was formed the same day

27 ARS is the 27th Wing Aircraft Repair Section who assembled and repaired machines within 27 Wing that were beyond the capacity of the unit itself

Thanks very much!