Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

emrezmen

Centenary of the Beginning of the Turkish War of Liberation

michaeldr
8 hours ago, stevebecker said:

why the British allowed to Greeks to invade Southern Turkey has me beat?

One theory is that the British wanted a proxy who would work for their interests in this area

Some in London, notably the WO, India Office & Colonial Office, favoured working with Turkey herself, while the FO and the PM supported Greece

[Italy was considered at one point, but thought too strong and thus perhaps able to challenge British interests]

See http://theses.gla.ac.uk/1578/1/2002daleziouphd.pdf from page 77 (82 of the pdf) onwards

Maureene

The following book, available online, covers the period

Turkey in Travail: the Birth of a New Nation by Harold Armstrong (Lately Assistant and Acting Military Attache to the High Commissioner , Constantinople; Special Service Officer in War Office and on Head-quarter Staff of Allied Army of Occupation, and Supervisor of Turkish Gendarmerie) 1925 Archive.org/DLI. HathiTrust version where images are better and can be rotated. The author left Turkey in 1923.

Cheers

Maureen

voltaire60
16 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Voltaire

My comment refers to the fact that you  believe that an important subject should be relegated to a gossip column.  The comment was not “partisan”, but rather more 

that the OP posted a point of view which deserves publication whatever your view.

I do agree with on you on one thing, I am a boy and old (ish)

TR

Very much so- but I think KR was pointing out that this topic could very,very easily descend into current politics.   If it can potter along here, then fine. But we have enough old battles for the period 1914-1924 to study rather than add some new 2019 ones to the stock.

Terry-  I zapped Google and there appears to be some chap called "Terry Reeves" who seems to have an interest in Plymouth Argyle FC. If it is you, then splendid-Come on,Argyle. Of course, any attender of the footballing delectations at Home Park will be well aware of the enduring nature of lost causes  :wub:

Terry_Reeves
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Very much so- but I think KR was pointing out that this topic could very,very easily descend into current politics.   If it can potter along here, then fine. But we have enough old battles for the period 1914-1924 to study rather than add some new 2019 ones to the stock.

Terry-  I zapped Google and there appears to be some chap called "Terry Reeves" who seems to have an interest in Plymouth Argyle FC. If it is you, then splendid-Come on,Argyle. Of course, any attender of the footballing delectations at Home Park will be well aware of the enduring nature of lost causes  :wub:

Afraid not Voltaire, I have to cope with Coventry City FC and the shenanigans of their Finnish owner.  The way things are going Argyle might be a better bet.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

2ndCMR
Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2019 at 06:34, emrezmen said:

Even though the war had virtually ended on 11 November 1918 in Europe, a new conflict was about the began in some other place which is not far from Europe.

s1.jpg

100 years ago today, seven months after the surrender of Ottoman Empire, Aide-de-camp to Sultan & 9th Army Inspector Brig-Gen. Mustafa Kemal (Atatürk) landed on Samsun in northern Turkey with a committee. His task was to intervene the alleged clashes in the region (actually initiated by local Greek insurgents who had taken action after hearing about the Greek occupation of Izmir on 15 May) and maintain the public order in order to prevent a further British occupation. He also was to oversee the disarmament of Ottoman forces in the region in accordance with the Armistice of Mudros. Although he was sent there with the authorization of both British Occupation Command and Sultan Mehmed VI, he soon ignored Sultan's instructions and decided to implement his long-considered plan: Organizing a resistance movement in Anatolia against the Allied occupation by using his high reputation that coming from Gallipoli. Thus, his arrival in Samsun officially marks the beginning of the Turkish War of Liberation which ended in destruction of the Greek army in Anatolia in three years.

In a year, Mustafa Kemal, accused of rebellion against the Istanbul government, would be sentenced to death by the Sultan. He eventually discharged from Ottoman army at the rank of Brigadier General (then equivalent to corps or army commander in Ottoman army), but his military career ended at the rank of Field Marshal to which he was promoted by Ankara government after the Battle of Sakarya in 1921.

(This is not directly related to the Great War and I might have posted this in wrong forum section. If so, our moderators can delete the post or move it into another section)

I suggest it be deleted before we are obliged to discuss the facts of history.

Which some may not find to their taste.

Edited by 2ndCMR

stevebecker

Mates,

My fault again as it appears no modern comments are to be made of Modern Turkey?

Funny that if such reports came from French, the whole forum would be making comments of the French?

But none on Turkey and its present problems?

But I also agree that Politics should not be on the forum, but what happens when they cross over?

We have seen such comments of the Turkish Govt works on the Gallipoli area on this site, and the discussions that brought up, but not where that refers to the lack of interest in the post Great war battles in Turkey?

Funny that

S.B

Michelle Young

Think it's time to give this one some breathing space, so will lock for the time being. 

Michelle