Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty List - December 24th, 1918

Jojessholli

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone on here with a good understanding of how Casualty Lists work? 

My Grandfather (Dvr Edwin Wright - 386037) was listed as wounded on 24th December 1918(see attached).  I know the lists were printed several weeks (maybe up to two months or so) after the incident - but can anyone shed any light on how I can find an approximate date?  Normally, I would find those killed (in the same battalion) on the same list and would work it out from there - but in this case my grandfather was in the 2/3 South Midland Field Artillery (61st Div) - any ideas how I can get an approximate date?

Regards

Vic

Weekly Casualty List - War Office - 24th Dec 1918.pdf

4 hours ago, Jojessholli said:

Dvr Edwin Wright - 386037

You mean 836037.  He ended up RE, 499986

There is a Pension Ledger Card here on Ancestry but you need a sub to Fold3 or WFA to get further. It does note he was discharged 7/3/19 and may give a bit more about wounds ?

Presumably lots of catch-up at the end of the war with all the released PoWs being reported in CasLists as well. Perhaps a look at the War Diary might highlight a date of men being wounded late oct/Nov although wont give his name ?

Are there others on that caslist with 800,000 series numbers who may thus be connected since this was a range for Midland Territorial Gunners ?

EDIT---eg there is a Service File for

Dvr AT Jay, 841018 served 3/3/16-22/2/19. Discharge from L'pool Hospital. A long letter from him in file saying wounded Nov 1918 (another record says 4/11/18), served 2/4th South Midlands RFA

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

You mean 836037.  He ended up RE, 499986

There is a Pension Ledger Card here on Ancestry but you need a sub to Fold3 or WFA to get further. It does note he was discharged 7/3/19 and may give a bit more about wounds ?

Presumably lots of catch-up at the end of the war with all the released PoWs being reported in CasLists as well. Perhaps a look at the War Diary might highlight a date of men being wounded late oct/Nov although wont give his name ?

Are there others on that caslist with 800,000 series numbers who may thus be connected since this was a range for Midland Territorial Gunners ?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie and yes I did mean 836037 (my bad). 

I've started checking the 800,000 men and found one from Coventry, who initially was with the 2/4 South Midland RFA (2/4 the 308th?  I think).  From what I've read the 2/4 (howitzer brigade) were absorbed into the 306th and 307th RFA (2/3 South Midland) - the batteries went from 4 guns to six of which one was a howitzer (though from war diaries they only ever mention 4).  This man(Joseph Wright - no relation) was wounded on the 7th November 1918 (coincidence?) his number was 840588 so reasonably close to 836037.  However he is shown as being with the 60th RFA during this period which is a North Midland brigade not a South.   Also a Driver - he was wounded via shrapnel in the back.  Possibly this is too much of a coincidence, but something is nagging me saying I'm on the right track.

I've got the Pension Leger Card (attached) - this shows Edwin as RE 499986 - which again I have a feeling happened post the injury as the 1918 Absent voters list shows him still in the RFA as 836037.

Pension Index Pt 2.jpg

Pension Index Pt1.jpg

Anbsent votrss Birmingham 1918.jpg

He may not have been injured badly enough to have been returned to UK but sufficien to trf to RE ?

Just to complicate my comments on Jays record, he got posted last minute to A/250 Bde RFA on 11/10/18 so nothing is certain !!

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

He may not have been injured badly enough to have been returned to UK but sufficien to trf to RE ?

Just to complicate my comments on Jays record, he got posted last minute to A/250 Bde RFA on 11/10/18 so nothing is certain !!

That was my thoughts - until today, I wasn't aware Edwin had ever been wounded (just goes to show the research never stops) but the records clearly show he was.  I need to find out more about the 2/4 and how they were integrated into the 2/3 as I'm sure there is a link here (mainly because I remember reading/being told that the 2/4 ceased and were absorbed into the 306 and 307 of the 2/3).  It is interesting though how your man Jays also moved last minute.

12 minutes ago, Jojessholli said:

records clearly show he was.

The pension record says his discharge/pension entitlement was 'att'ributable.

Search on this forum for South Midland Brigade RFA and you get quite a few hits.

edit      All those I've looked at so far seem to have been wounded first week of Nov 1918. Seems a good guide.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

17 hours ago, charlie962 said:

The pension record says his discharge/pension entitlement was 'att'ributable.

Search on this forum for South Midland Brigade RFA and you get quite a few hits.

edit      All those I've looked at so far seem to have been wounded first week of Nov 1918. Seems a good guide.

Charlie

thanks Charlie