Peter Bennett

Private FOLEY, D

Service Number 7345

Died 13/01/1915

2nd Bn.
Royal Munster Fusiliers

BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

Number of casualties: 3069

Cemetery/memorial reference: III. B. 50.

I can only find an MIC Card for this man and Medal Award Roll entitling him to BWM and Victory Medal but as he died so early in 1915 he must have been awarded a Star. He does not appear to have served under a different regiment or service number.

Any help or advice gratefully received

Thank you

Edited by Peter Bennett
typo

If not a different regt or number could his name have been mis-transcribed  and be  on a separate card/roll for a star under the mis-spelt name ?

Simon

2 hours ago, mancpal said:

If not a different regt or number could his name have been mis-transcribed  and be  on a separate card/roll for a star under the mis-spelt name ?

Simon

Thanks anyway but I have tried that with a number of name permutations

Apologies if this is a red herring, but while looking at the preview of the MiC for 7345 Denis Foley I notiiced the card above was for the 1914-15 Award for a 4641 & 32355 Denis Foley, Royal Munster Fusiliers. That man was a Special Reservist, (so I wonder if that second number wasn't actually 3/2355), and he first landed in France on the 28th November 1914.

The card has also got a stamp showing the award of the Victory Medal and British and seems to shows a very similar roll number to the one on the MiC for 7345 Denis Foley. Hopefully both men will be on that medal roll and prove the same name is just a co-incidence.Of course there is very little similarity in the service numbers, but they could relate to previous service or someone may just have been having a bad day at the office !

Cheers,

Peter

Denis Foley 4641 Royal Munster Fusiliers MiC sourced Ancestry.jpg

I notice that the CWGC listing has his number as 7345, while the MIC is 7435.