Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chromed Model of 305mm Skoda Howitzer

NorthStaffsPOW

Hi all. I have recently picked up this interesting piece. Clearly identifiable as a 305mm Skoda howitzer as used during the Siege of Antwerp etc. It is missing a few bits but looks like it was made as a trophy of piece for an officer's mess. It has knobs so that the gun can be elevated and traversed and weighs not far of 2kg. Interestingly I found it in an antique shop in Bucharest and at their military museum they own 2 of 4 remaining 305mm Skodas so I was also able to view the real thing. Any comments would be appreciated. Has anyone seen such an item before? Many thanks.

305mm Skoda 1.jpg

305mm Skoda 4.jpg

305mm Skoda 5.jpg

305mm Skoda 7.jpg

305mm Skoda 8.jpg

It looks like nickel plated to me rather than chrome. Even though it is obviously an antique, I would have thought there were good grounds for having it stripped, shot blasted and replated or chromed again.

David

I thought it probably nickel plated. If reconditioning , which would be great, ensure it is done by an experienced expert in the field.Best of luck.

Regards

David

Edited by David Filsell

There's a third (real) one outside the Italian Museum to the war in the Dolomites in Rovereto. It is absolutely magnificent.

A suitable project for 'The Repair Shop'?

Mike.

I'd want to dismantle it, make proper dimensioned drawings of the bits and remake in stainless or suchlike. Be quite a project, and the gears'd give me an excuse to get a milling machine...  😀

... and here is the real thing.

rovereto-italy-july-7-2018-450w-1154863273.jpg