Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
widwick

Detroyed MIC

widwick

Does anyone know what proportion of the MICs were destroyed by enemy action in WW2? Have any pals come across this fate for MICs they have been looking for?

Tony

Terry_Reeves

Tony

MIC's were not destroyed by the air-raids of WW2. They were held separately by the Army Medals Office, and only transfered to the PRO in the 1980's as far as I'm aware.

Terry Reeves

HarryBettsMCDCM

I was aware that a high % of Army Service Papers Had been destroyed during the Blitz in the 1940s,I had always considered the Medal Cards had been stored @ the Army Medal Office @ Hayes & hadn't been so lost;I have never as yet been unable to locate a Card,Unless it is one of the very small percentage of "Vs;Ws;Etc" that as of yet haven't been made available "Online"{Check the "Whats New" Section of the NA Site which gives these % totals yet to be put on line~around 2~3% of those Letters}

widwick

OK - thank you for the replies- thats what I thought.

I've been waiting for the last 2% of the 'W's to come on line. Finally I contacted TNA Documents On Line by email and enquired when the remaining MICs would be posted.

Answer: 'Unfortunately the webpage you are referring to is out of date and owing to a technical problem we are unable to update it at present'.

Then I got : 'All the medal cards that can be transcribed are already on line'

BUT they kindly made an offer to look up my wife's grandfather: 6444 WO2 William Wilson R Innis Fus who died of wounds France September 1918.

Then I got: 'Sadly, although our research team have searched as in as many ways and combinations as possible there does not appear to be a medal index card for this soldier. We can only conclude therefore that his card was lost in the German Bombing in WW2'.

I went to TNA (long journey) once and spent the day looking - no joy (Although Ian of Research Fame said he had seen it out of sequence in February 2004)

Any advice? - or comments!

Tony

birkettm

Hello.

I e-mailed them re: the missing 'W's when i was originally researching a relative, Apparently they will be going up at some point. Although this was qualified by the fact that there may be some which 'have been lost '.

ta

marc

Terry_Reeves

Tony

I wouldn't accept the NA's comment about being lost in WW2 as gospel. It depends on who you talk to there as to what answer you get. WW2 is often an excuse for not being able to come up with viable explanation. It may simply have got lost, or for some reason or other, missed off the filming. Try contacting the Army Medals Office at Droitwich and see what they say. Also ask about the whereabouts of the original cards.

Terry Reeves

widwick

Terry

Thanks for your advice - I will contact the medal office.

Tony

widwick

Terry et al

Just to let you know the results from my approach to the Army Medal Office:

1. No answer as to where the original MICs are and how to access them.

2. Medal cards can be viewed on line.

3. The NA holds all Army documents for service prior to 1920.

4. Advice... that my researches should now be directed to the NA(!)

So - back to square one- guess I'll just have towait and hope its in the remaining 2% of the 'W's yet to be posted online.

Tony

Terry_Reeves

Tony

Thanks for posting the result of you enquiries. Sound like a "can't be bothered - too busy" stock answer to me. Hope you get a result in the end though.

Terry reevea

hmsk212

Tony

There are the odd one or two mics that appear to be missing. This is probably due to human error in transcribing them onto the original microfiches and subsequently onto the on-line site. There is still a possibility that your man's service record has survived despite no apparant mic so looking for the record is probably your next course of action

Steve

widwick

Steve

Were it that easy...

William Wilson is the name and I once spent a lot of time (and money) searching thro' all the 'Wilson' service records to no avail - so a WO Class 2 who having served in the Boer War and died of wounds in September 1918 in France fades away except as kept fresh by the CWGC and 'The Heroes of Ballymoney' by Robert Thompson. (Not a unique situation, I know)

One distinguished member of this Forum said he had seen his MIC a year ago and promised me the details - mistaken? a weird tease? I know not, nothing came.

Difficult now to visit Kew but I wait eagerly for that last 2% online.

Best wishes

Tony