Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menai Bridge War Memorial, Church Island, Menai Bridge

mbriscoe

You chose a wet day, mb: but they're not unknown in that part of the world!  Church Island is a lovely site, and can also be appreciated from the two lay-bys on the A5 between Menai Bridge and Llanfairpwll (if you want the Suspension Bridge and mountains as a background).

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

5 minutes ago, clive_hughes said:

You chose a wet day, mb: but they're not unknown in that part of the world!  Church Island is a lovely site, and can also be appreciated from the two lay-bys on the A5 between Menai Bridge and Llanfairpwll (if you want the Suspension Bridge and mountains as a background).

Clive

Did not really chose the day!  It improved later in the day but not have time to go back.  I did other War Memorials on Anglesey as well that day.  I had thought of stopping on the mainland side of the Menai Bridge and see if I could get a picture of the island or better, the War Memorial from there.  But did not have time.

Visible in photo  No.3 is Ynys Gorad Goch, a small island close to the Britannia Bridge.

'Gorad' means a Fish Weir, and historically belonged to the Dioscese of Bangor.  Its residents would be fishermen, catching fish in the weirs as the tides of the Swellies went out.

John Ifor Jones of Gorad Goch, Pte. 43595, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers was the son of Hugh Madog and Mary Catherine Jones and was born on Ynys Gorad Goch. His father was a fisherman and fishmonger. John died in France on the 27th February 1917 aged 19 and is buried at Queen's Cemetery, Bucquoy, Pas de Calais.

Part of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll parish, he is one of the names on the Llanfairpwllgwyngyll memorial.

mb, this is the sort of view you could have expected (though this is just a snapshot by myself, and I'm sure could be bettered!)

Dai, aside from Church Island J.I.Jones is also on the war memorial in the old Grammar School, Beaumaris, where he was educated 1911-14, as well as the two Llanfairpwll village memorials, St.Mary's Church Llanfairpwll, and the one in Capel Mawr (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist) chapel Menai Bridge.  After that he worked in the London City & Midland Bank in Prestatyn, Flintshire, before enlisting in January 1916 and being called up in May that year.  Served with 1st RWF from Sept. 1916 onwards.  Despite his parents living in Menai Bridge his nominated next of kin was apparently also resident in Prestatyn - a D.Jones completed a Flintshire memorial card for him in 1920.  The North Wales Memorial Arch in Bangor however only covers him under Llanfairpwll.  

P1030149.JPG

Edited by clive_hughes