Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reginald Hurley - Royal Berkshires

phsvm

I am struggling to identify a  soldier on my village 'Roll of Honour' This is a list of survivors, not those KIA.  All I have is the name R Hurley.  I can't find anyone with any connections to the village - Chilton - with this name either before or after WW1.  We are a racing village so he could have been involved in this industry and come to the village as a jockey or stable lad.

Many of the men from the village enlisted with the Royal Berkshire Regiment so having found an 11th Royal Berkshire Regiment man with the name Reginald John Hurley I think this could be him. 

Reginald John Hurley enlisted on 11 December 1915 and was discharged on 3 October 1917.  He is listed as having been issued with a Silver War Badge.  He appears to have two military numbers - 129105 and 24937. 

Can anyone find any more information about this individual that may help me connect him to Chilton?

Edited by phsvm

2 hours ago, phsvm said:

This man has a pension card on Ancestry here which someone may follow up for you (I've forgotten my WFA access details !!)

But the transcript on Ancestry gives address as YMCA  Port Talbot.

Both PensionCard and SWB give birth c 1881

All hits for Reginald John of that year plus or minus seem to point to a Devon based man with no connection to Chilton ? (see tree on Ancestry)

Not very helpfull I'm afraid

Two addresses on the WFA Card. Newtown, Exeter and Port Talbot. Myalgia 20% disability.

He appears to have been a bricklayer. 

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks for your help.  It has clarified one thing.  I'd found birth registrations for both of these but not a connection for either with RBR but it looks as if the Port Talbot one was the RBR man and with no links to Chilton so a dead end.  I think I'm going to have to leave this one as an 'unknown'.  Not bad when I think I've identified all the other 50 names on the Roll - pity I couldn't get to a full house.

He'll get a mention in the final publication even if I can't say anything about him so he won't be forgotten.