Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

maudson

I am trying to find some details on Sidney William Hunt who served in C Squadron of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry. His Regimental Number was 1932. Later he was allotted number 145994. I wondered if this gave any indication of an approximate enlistment date. Finally I wondered if a private would be part of the cavalry (i.e. on horseback) or would have served as part of the support services?

As always many thanks for any help or pointers.

David

Hi David,

Looking at some surviving service papers...

1931 Peasland joined 24.5.1915

1965 Lawrence joined 31.5.1915

1979 Clark joined 29.6.1915

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone can answer a rather naive question. Did the ordinary Private in the Yeomanry have his own horse and was a mounted soldier or were they just the support staff. I know it may be obvious but I have been unable to find a definitive answer.

9 minutes ago, maudson said:

I wonder if anyone can answer a rather naive question. Did the ordinary Private in the Yeomanry have his own horse and was a mounted soldier or were they just the support staff. I know it may be obvious but I have been unable to find a definitive answer.

As a private he could have been either a mounted soldier or one of the support staff.

Craig

Hi David,

2 hours ago, maudson said:

I wonder if anyone can answer a rather naive question. Did the ordinary Private in the Yeomanry have his own horse

Hi David,

I don't know how relevant it might be to you man, but in terms of the Wiltshire Yeomanry on mobilisation in 1914, I have this...

image.png.2be25d72507eed68f3eb97f274ad87a9.png

Image source - Findmypast

It seems to suggest that at that time, not all of the men had their own horses. The unit as a whole wasn't 'dismounted' until September 1917, so I suspect that the majority of drafts prior to then would have been provided with one. I guess though that it does depend on his precise role - mounted, or support.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Many thanks to Craig and Chris for your help. I am beginning to get a picture of how they would have moved and fought. In the Abington Museum in Northampton it has a section on the Northamptonshire Yeomanry. On one panel it states that at the end of the war in Italy they did have one last chance to fight as cavalry and pursued the retreating Austrians. I guess that there is no definitive way of saying whether Sidney Hunt would have been likely to have been on horseback or in support at this time. In the Ringstead Roll of Honour he was described as a trooper. Does this mean anything? Again apologies for my lack of knowledge and thanks for your information.

Regards

David

In the Ringstead Roll of Honour he was described as a trooper

That was just the cavalry way of referring to a Private.

Craig

The Northampton County records office has a collection of Northamptonshire Yeomanry records. The Regiment (the cavalry equivalent of a battalion) went through five fairly distinct stages during the war:

1. Late 1914 - Dismounted on "infantry" duty in the trenches as a stop-gap whilst infantry reinforcements arrived
  2. To March 1915 - As support cavalry to 8th Division. They were present at the battle of Neuve Chapelle
  3. April 1915 - Each Squadron (the Regiment in France consisted of three Squadrons during the war) went its separate ways in April 1915 becoming support cavalry to New Army Divisions - "C" Squadron was attached to 5th Division.
  4. May 1916 - The Squadrons rejoined and were attached to the army in France at Corps level. On 11 April 1917 they took part in a "cavalry charge" at Monchy le Preux. It was not technically a cavalry charge as they were not charging the enemy lines but rather deploying at a gallop from the British lines to reach Monchy le Preux and occupy the village whilst under fire from the German lines by rifles and machine guns.
  5. November 1917 - Embarked to Italy and took part in the latter battles in Italy. There they were used for their intended role of scouting. Whilst there were no further cavalry charges they were used in their traditional cavalry role.

The cavalry charge at Monchy is reference here:

https://gbt01.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/the-cavalry-charge-at-monchy-le-preux/

The Northamptonshire Yeomanry followed the Essex Yeomanry and 10th Hussars down into Monchy, and most articles on the engagement don't even mention the involvement of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry. The Regiment were certainly heavily engaged with a dozen dead, about 50 wounded or suffering shell shock. Casualties amongst the horses numbered 65 horses dead or wounded.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Many thanks Craig

Steve, Once again many thanks for clarifying the situation and for your time and expert knowledge. I need to do another re-write.

David