Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Division Horse Show, Liencourt, 13 May 1917

ejwalshe

102 YEARS AGO TODAY:  15th Division Horse Show at Liencourt, west of Arras, 13th May 1917.  Horse-jumping competition, Tug-of-War, best limber.  Group portrait including Major-General Hamilton Lyster Reed, awarded the Victoria Cross (South Africa, 15 December 1899).  Brigadier-General Frederick McCracken, GOC 15th Division, Major Arthur Neale Lee DSO, and Mr Neil Munro, a newspaper editor and journalist.  March past of the pipes - 232 pipers and drummers took part.  General Sir Douglas Haig, the C-in-C of the British Army, chatting with a French resident, 13 May 1917.  

Edited by ejwalshe

Thanks for posting that - that's a lovely montage.

David

ejwalshe,

Agreed; it does bring the event to life.  My one concern is that though you have acknowledged the source of these IWM images you may need to seek permission from the IWM to reproduce them here or on Youtube. 

Regards

Colin

Edited by Colin W Taylor

Thanks, Colin for the concern, but I do abide by the restrictions set forth by the IWM to reproduce these images (very few do so, particularly on Z's program). 

And, I do not need to seek permission from the Imperial War Museum to use these images, since I have cited them as per their instructions.

Cheers.

ej,

I am happy to be proved wrong in this case and apologise for any inconvenience.  I was not aware of the IWM non commercial licencing policy which does allow these to be used without permission being sought; linked here for any others who are interested - https://www.iwm.org.uk/corporate/policies/privacy-copyright/licence

However, to be fully compliant with their licence it state that 'where possible' a link to the source material should be provided.

Kind regards

Colin

232 pipers and drummers, that must have been an impressive sound!

Mike.