Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wars in Italy

We are seeking help with Italian army abbreviations, for example, Italian FC (unsure what FC stands for) and for those who fought but did not die in battle whether it's WW1 or WW2. We have 22 pupils who fought in WW1 and survived and have come to a halt as we cannot find further information about in ancestry and why they received medals fighting in Italy etc Any guidelines or advice will be most appreciated

Screenshot_20190513-105806__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190513-105859__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190513-110213.jpg

Online link for main British Medals:

Medals: Imperial Awards: World War One 1914-1918 Department of Defence, Australian Government. Includes links to source documents for eligibility criteria for the main British medals 

Eric White: MID is Mentioned in Despatches. You could search the London Gazette online

The [London] Gazette

Cheers

Maureen

I think the big question is where did you source the information from? Are they hand-written notes in your archive? I would guess that this person was an aviator and that he was in the Italian equivalent of the RFC.

I don't think I have come across a post on here about researching an Italian soldier. This guide looked interesting:
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Italy_Military_Records

4 hours ago, Felsted Archivist said:

We are seeking help with Italian army abbreviations, for example, Italian FC (unsure what FC stands for) and for those who fought but did not die in battle whether it's WW1 or WW2. We have 22 pupils who fought in WW1 and survived and have come to a halt as we cannot find further information about in ancestry and why they received medals fighting in Italy etc Any guidelines or advice will be most appreciated.

I was a bit confused as to what you are asking for. 
Are you wanting to find out the reason why two men - Luigi Ballestrero (Regio Esercito - Corpo Aeronautico Militare?), Ralph Beevor (Royal Air Force) - received the Croce di Guerra al Valor Militare?
If you speak Italian, it could well be the case that the award for Luigi Ballestrero was announced (gazetted) in the Bollettino Ufficiale - Ministero Della Guerra. I do not know if foreign nationals in foreign armies would also be gazetted - this did not happen for British gallantry awards to foreign nationals.

Here is the Bollettino Ufficiale - Ministero Della Guerra for 1921. I was able to find the gazetted entry for a Medaglia di bronzo al valor militare awarded to an Italian who was also decorated with the Military Medal in Northern Russia. As well as an award date, it also gave the bravery citation too.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bs7I7B2XPeIC

Best of luck with your endeavours.