Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown officer

Can anybody help?

The attached photo was in the possession of my late Aunt. Unfortunately I have no idea who this young man is, all I know is that he was clearly a RFC officer and that the photograph was taken by a studio in Folkestone Kent. On the back the studio name and address is: J Weston & Son 20a Sandgate Road Folkestone. Written in pencil is the ref 2740 V 2 - is that the photographers ref or is it connected to the RFC?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

At a guess the number is the photographer's negative sheet number. It might be worth contacting the Kent Library and History Centre to see if they hold the firm's archives.

Looks like a 2/lieutenant. Looks like a pilot, not groundcrew. 

Only pilots wore wings like that.  I'd say the number on the back is certainly the photographer's reference and seaJane's suggestion is worth following up - you never know.

If you have plenty of time on your hands it might be worth looking through the Royal Aero Club's collection of photos of those awarded "aviators certificates" to see if you can spot him - they're available on Ancestry.  Not every pilot who gained his wings got the RAC "ticket", nor is there a photo of all who did, but you may be in luck.  As the "ticket" was obtained, if at all, before the award of the "wings", you would be looking for an earlier photo of the same guy, sans wings.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/royalaeroclub/

Piers

Edited by pierssc