Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dead Mule Gully

My parents are heading to Ypres in June and with them will be friends whose ancestor was killed on the 14th  December 1917. He was working as part of a team working near the front line laying cables. The official history of the New Zealand Wellington Regiment describes the event but not clear on the location. However, I have found descriptions on the records of some that died that day to a place named 'Dead Mule Gully". I have looked at several maps and have not located any reference to it. Can anyone help? Thanks Karl Osten.

Ref to Dead Mule Gully.PNG

Three references here :

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-NZRi-t1-body-d11-d2.html

One of these references is copied below :

The 1st Battalion relieved the 3rd Otago Battalion on the right, the 4th Battalion took over from 3rd. Canterbury on the left, the 3rd moved into a new support position in Dead Mule Gully, behind Polygonveld, and the 2nd to reserve at Halfway House and Railway Wood, about a mile north-west of Hooge. The 1st Wellington Battalion was temporarily attached to our Brigade,

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

If you look at the concentration records on the CWGC site https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?regiment=Wellington%2BRegiment%2c%2BN.Z.E.F.&exactDate=14-12-1917 for the NZ Wellington Regt men, you may be able to narrow down his place of burial a bit further. Wellington Regt soldiers were concentrated from J.9.a.2.5., J9.a.3.6. And J8.b.2.7. all of which are pretty close to dead mule gully.

Charlie