Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THOMAS W. WATSON, DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY, 6th/19th Battalions.

I print here the lot details for a collection of papers of this soldier which are coming up for sale at Forum Auctions, London on 30th May 2019.  I must stress that I have no commercial connections either to the auctioneers or the vendor and that I post these details merely to record that such materials exist and are out there somewhere.

First World War.- Watson (Thomas W., soldier, wounded on the Somme, once in the face, served in the 6th & 19th Durham Light Infantry, of Hude Gate, Middleton-in-Teesdale, Durham, fl. 1919-1951) Collection of letters to his parents and family, numerous pp., most 8vo, some in pencil, 1915-18 & after the war, at training camp, convalescence in Ledbury, Cardiff and Dublin, after being wounded, "A.2. Ward... Hospital... Rouen... Dear Mother, Just these few lines to let you know that I have been wounded and I am getting on allright [sic]. I hope to be with my Battalion soon. Dear Mrs Watson I am writing these few lines for your son as he cannot use is arm yet hopeing he will be able to use it soon", folds, numerous tears, browned; and a few ragged copies of The Whizz-Bang Magazine (qty).

Interesting - if I had the money...

Did it by any chance give his number ?

Crag

Thomas W Watson 6/6165

Is this the soldier?

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/MCI/4659962

Some papers for same soldier under his other number

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO363-4/007309437/00086&parentid=GBM/WO363-4/7309437/3/86

I hadn't looked yet but a #6XXX number would seem right by my records - most of the men lower than that I have covered and he's not one of them.

Craig