Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to discover length of service of my grandfather

Hopeful

I'm hoping that someone can suggest how I can discover when my grandfather joined the Royal Engineers. I have tried Findmypast and they give no results.

His name was Harry William Pond.  He was in the Royal Engineers and his regimental number was  84463. His rank was Cpl.  I have a copy of the page showing  the awarding of campaign/Victory medals and in red next to his name is handwritten 'Retd para 992 K.Rs.C.A.V 383/13 d/19/2/24  8426/Adt

I also have a medal rolls index card which has written on it RE101B449427  beneath the Roll and Page columns and in remarks, similar wording to the above: retd (992KR1923) 8426 Adt

Does this mean he retired from the army in 1923?

I also have a couple of rather spotty pics of him  and a few others in France in 1918.

Hi,

The abbreviation returned means that the medals were returned to the Infantry Record Office -  nothing to do with the man’s “retirement”.

I’ll have a look at the MIC as it may be that the medals were not reissued in which case the  NOK can still claim them.

Steve

EDIT TO ADD

The MIC suggests the medals were returned for adjustment - perhaps a spelling error or such like - so once done they would be returned to the recipient.

In respect of your query about date of Enlistment/Conscription your best bet would be to look on Ancestry/FMP for Royal Engineer surviving service records close to Regimental number 84463 and see if there is any similarity in date of joining.

Edited by tullybrone

Hopeful

He would have enlisted  between February and July 1915, and would have served with 203 (Cambridge) Field Company RE. They landed in France on 28 January, 1916. Unless he was discharged before the end of the war for some reason, and there is no indication of that, it is very likely that he was demobilised in 1919.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Hopeful,

My Grandfather also was a Cpl in the 203rd RE from 22 Jun 18 until medical evac back to UK on 5 Oct 1918. I have copy of 203rd War Diary (WD) and will look through it for his name as time allows. Other Ranks are not normally called out in WD but my GF was as wounded returned to duty on 20 Sep 1918 and then again wounded during initial advance on 28 Sep 1918. Would in be possible to post pictures of him and his pals?

Dave  

He was only awarded the pair which indicates that he did not enter the theater of war in France before 1916

Ray

I’ve looked in Soldiers Service Records and Pension Records on Ancestry.com and can find nothing. Looks like only his medal records survived the Luftwaffe raids of WW2.

I've only seen the MIC so far not the Medal Roll but these medals were returned as unclaimed; KR 1923 992 = Medals which, at the end of one year, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the Secretary, The War Office. This is usually down to the man changing address.

Nothing on the MIC suggests they were corrected or sent out again.

TEW

Thank you very much everyone. I certainly never expected to  get all this information from my query. This is the second time I've had the most wonderful help on this forum - you guys are real stars!

Dave here are the only two pics I have - would be amazing if your Grandfather were in the same pic!

Harry Pond Royal Engineers France 1918 2.jpg

Harry Pond Royal Engineers France 1918.jpg

Thanks for posting but unfortunately my grandfather is not in either picture. I would be interested in any commentary from more knowledgeable folks of their observations of these pics. My guess be first photo is of the Sgt and 7 Corporals of an RE Section taken earlier maybe in UK? Second photo maybe after the war with a number of the men with wound stripes and that look on some of their faces.

BTW I looked through 203rd WD and didn't see your grandfathers name. I did see where replacements arrived 10 Jun 17 84452 Spr S(?)uggs, and on 14 Jun 17 84241 Spr Burgess arrived. 

Dave

Both pics were marked as taken in France in 1918 Dave. Are the wound stripes on the left sleeve? Why did they have them, was it  an honour or a mark of warning? Oh now I can see a different mark on the right sleeve of several; both marks towards the wrist.

I'm sorry your Grandfather was not in either pic.

Way back in the '60's I was asked to see if there was anything I wanted from my Grandmother's house. In the attic was a large trunk, full of photographs and postcards, many of them dating from the war years.  I cannot believe now, that I took a handful and left the rest. What an amazing source of information they could have been  . . . . . My grandfather's name was Harry Pond, so not either of those replacements. He is the one smoking the pipe.

The wound stripe is toward the bottom of left sleeve and is visible on 3 of the fellas in bottom pic. Wound Stripe was awarded to those wounded in action. Here in the States its called the Purple Heart and as I child I was told Papa had received a purple heart during WWI. Thinking it meant literally I asked my Mom how they knew that? Her answer was he was wounded in action. After some more questions they realized i was taking meaning literally.:D

Not being totally familiar with British uniforms I believe chevrons on lower right sleeve relates to length of service and possibly overseas service.     

Thanks for that info Dave. I always wondered why we Brits didn't seem to have the equivalent of a purple heart and now I discover that we did. Very interesting. (Your story re the purple heart was very funny - I can just imagine it.)

Couple of men in the first pic appear to have 1914 Star ribbons.

Steve

The stripes on the right sleeve are overseas service stripes. First one was gained on arrival overseas, then subsequent ones a year after that, mainly in blue but a red one, nearest the cuff, was awarded if the man served overseas in 1914. They do not appear on uniforms until after early 1918, thus dating the pictures to 1918 or thereafter. I think these men are wearing up to 4 stripes. If they landed in France with the initial contingent of 203rd Field Company then entitlement would have triggered as follows:

28 Jan 1916 - 1st blue stripe

28 Jan 1917 - 2nd blue stripe

28 Jan 1918 - 3rd blue stripe

28 Jan 1919 - 4th blue stripe

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a UK equivalent of the Purple Heart called the War Badge, see image below. 

images (1).jpeg

• 1 year later...

Upon further look at attached picture I'm relatively sure the tall fella next to your grandfather is L/C Walter Lowings. I suspect he was killed in the same blast on 28 Sep 18 that wounded my grandfather and numerous others.  He was the last of 4 brothers killed in the Great War. Small world!Harry Pond Royal Engineers France 1918.jpg

Thanks Dave. I wonder if my grandfather was in that blast on 28 Sept. -  he never talked about his wartime years which is why I've been trying to find out a little about them.

Same here other than I knew he was wounded. Since I retired I spent a bit of time researching and have been amazed at the wealth of info available.I didn't see your grandfathers name on WIA list but I'm pretty confident he also was assisting on road repair to allow artillery to move forward during the Final Advance. I'm sure our grandfathers knew each other though!