Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with grandfather

I am trying to learn about my grandfathers history. Is there a guide to decipher regimental numbers ? I have 2 of his numbers, 50666, and 783618. Any help would be very welcome

32 minutes ago, flightline37 said:

I am trying to learn about my grandfathers history. Is there a guide to decipher regimental numbers ? I have 2 of his numbers, 50666, and 783618. Any help would be very welcome

If you could post more details about your grandfather I.e. name, rank, regiment etc if know or anything you have will help. 

As the first number, is showing about 37 men with that number and nothing for the second number given

Welcome to the forum. A great deal of expertise resides here but clues are needed to set the trail off please.

Names, regiments, DoB all help.

Is your grandfather either of these?

Harper Stanley

Scott Robert Charles

George

Thanks

George

Middle name 'Leonard' ?

George

18 minutes ago, flightline37 said:

Grandfathers name was Ralph Bartlett. I got the numbers from Ancestry.com, that's all I know of his war time years.

Ralph Leonard Bartlett - died 08 May 1917 and is commemorated on the Arras war memorial - https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead

West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince Of Wales's Own)

If it's him then his service papers and a few other bits are available on Find My Past.