Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 22977 WILLIAM CHARLES HAZLEWOOD

agedpink1

I already have a fair but of information on this man but I just wondered if anyone could add to it or even have a photograph of him;

Private 22977 WILLIAM CHARLES HAZLEWOOD, 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. William was the son of Henry Hazlewood and Betsy Hazlewood (nee Sargeant), of Burton-on-Trent he was born in July 1888 in Cheveley, Newmarket Suffolk. He was the husband of Selina Whiten nee Page (formerly Hazlewood), of 15, Quarry Lane, Mansfield, they were married on the 5th June 1911 in Smalley, Derbyshire they had one daughter Phyllis Agnes Hazlewood. William died of wounds on 23rd November 1915 he was initially buried on the battlefield but was exhumed and reburied in the cemetery after the war.  William's brother Sapper 175602 Henry Hazlewood 174th Tunnelling Company Royal Engineers was also killed in August 1918 in France. William's wife Selina lost her Husband, Brother-in-Law and Two Brothers (Joseph and Archie Page).

Regards Richard.

Hi Richard,

Not much from me I'm afraid. The War Gratuity shown as paid in his Soldiers' Effect record is indicative of 12, or less months service. It shows his wife as his sole legatee, so there should be a will, which would appear to be here. It may only consist of a very few words though, and would come as a low resolution B&W scan of the original. There are some surviving service papers for a couple of near number men which show 22970 Turner and 22971 Hoban attested 5.2.1915; and 22978 Walker on 6.2.1915.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Just a few minor things to add.

-        Although Newmarket is in Suffolk, Cheveley is actually in Cambridgeshire. The Newmarket Civil Registration District spanned the County Border.

(see https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/newmarket.html)

-        On the 1891 Census the 2 year old William C HAZELWOOD is living with his parents at 157 Oak Street, Burton. His place of birth is recorded as Newmarket.

-        On the 1901 Census when the 12 year old William C HAZLEWOOD is living with his parents at 159 Oak Street, Burton on Trent, his place of birth is recorded as Newmarket. His older sister Emily B, (14), is shown as born Cheveley.

-        On the 1911 Census the 23 year old William HAZELWOOD, born “Chievley, Derbyshire”, was recorded as a Boarder at Newdigate Street, West Hallam, Derby. He was a “Fitter Underground”. Some of the variation may be down to the fact that the Census return was completed by his landlord.

-        His mother, Betsy HAZLEWOOD, aged 47 and a Charwoman, was recorded on the 1911 Census of England and Wales as the “Wife of the Head of the Household” at 78 Henry Street, Burton on Trent. She states she has been married 25 years and has had 13 children, of which 7 were then still alive. Her husband doesn’t obviously appear to be recorded anywhere else on this census.

-        Soldiers Died in the Great War also has him as William Charles HAZELWOOD and shows him as Died of Wounds. (I assume there is nothing on the Register of Soldiers Effects to show if it was at one of the Dressing Staions \ Casualty Clearing Stations whose graves were consolidated into Hill 10 Cemetery).

-        There is no birth registered for a Phyllis Agnes HAZLEWOOD with or without the mothers’ maiden name Page. The quarterly index published by the General Registrars Office of Births in England & Wales does have a birth registered of a Phyllis A. HAZELWOOD, mothers’ maiden name Page, which was registered in the Belper District of Derbyshire in Q2 of 1915. This was the same Civil Registration District as where her parents marriage was recorded.

-        The Government Probate Service holds a Soldiers Will for 22977 William Charles HAZLEWOOD who died 23rd November 1915. https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=Hazlewood&SurnameGrants=Hazlewood&YearOfDeath=1915&YearOfDeathGrants=1915&IsGrantSearch=False&IsCalendarSearch=False#soldiers

Local Papers are the most likely source for a picture. I believe the British Newspaper Archive has a fair smattering of Derbyshire & Notiinghamshire titles – and can be viewed for free at your local library if you live in the UK and are a member.

Hope that helps,

Peter

3 hours ago, clk said:

Guess my post wasn't worth the time I spent on it ;)

Well I appreciated it  :-)