Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Frank Owen 44160 - Royal Welsh Fusiliers

DavidOwen

• Admin

Hi everyone

I have been looking for information relating to my Grandfather (see title). So far in respect of his military service I have both his MIC and Medal Roll but nothing else. I know he did serve in France and I believe in Egypt (family postcards) but I don't know when he enlisted and when he was discharged.

I do know the Forum Members can work magic, so hopefully some magic may be worked here.

Many thanks for reading

David

Evening David

This on FWR

First Name: H F

Surname: Owen

Service: British Army

Primary Unit: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Secondary Unit: 3rd Battalion 

Archive Reference: 1916 Army List

Seniority Date: 09/07/1915

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/8977601/2nd-lieutenant-h-f-owen-british-army-royal-welsh-fusiliers/

George

• Admin

Hi George

Sadly my man wasn't commissioned, he did allegedly make Quarter Master Sergeant but other than a postcard referring to Lance Corporal there is no firm evidence but thanks for looking.

David

Looking at close numbers in the service and pension records on Ancestry for enlistment dates:

44154  Fred Griffiths  18.07.16

44156  Edward Foulkes 17.07.16

44162  Hugh Hughes 17.07.16

44166  Andrew Bates 24.01.16

Although there is a near number that doesn't match the others I think July 1916 is likely.

Mike

As you've seen his medal roll you'll know it gives the 9th as his only battalion, which narrows his service down to F&F. It was in billets at Bavay on Armistice and demob began from December 1918 and ended in June 1919.

Mike

All I have on him is that he is on Absent Voters List at Pentre Canol Lodge, Abergele as 44160 9th Bn RWF. No one else to the address.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Hywyn said:

All I have on him is that he is on Absent Voters List at Pentre Canol Lodge, Abergele as 44160 9th Bn RWF. No one else to the address.

Thank you!

• Admin
2 hours ago, Langdon said:

44166  Andrew Bates 24.01.16

I think you'll find that the above number for that man was a actually a Welsh Regiment number not an RWF number

Regards

Russ

Hi David,

3 hours ago, Langdon said:

44154  Fred Griffiths  18.07.16

44156  Edward Foulkes 17.07.16

44162  Hugh Hughes 17.07.16

I saw those records on FMP too. A small point, but 44156 Foulkes and 44162 Hughes seem to have been called up under the provisions of the Military Service Act 1916. From what I saw, the record for 44154 Griffiths just says 'service reckons from'. 

Regards

Chris

On 09/05/2019 at 20:30, RussT said:

I think you'll find that the above number for that man was a actually a Welsh Regiment number not an RWF number

Regards

Russ

That explains! Thanks Russ