Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

61st (South Midlands) Divisional History

Jojessholli

Hey Guys - does anyone know of any good books on the 61st (South Midlands) Divisional History?

Regards

Vic

I have never found much.

There is online, unnamed 'The 61st Division had the reputation of being a poorly performing formation. How did it acquire this reputation and was it a justified description?', 984318, MA
Dissertation, University of Birmingham'. I believe the author is on the forum.

Have a look at the Long Long Trail synopsis of the Division's actions during the war. They were first involved in the Battle of Fromelles in 1916, and there are a number of books about that, although they can be Australian-centric. In 1918, they were involved in the March Offensive, and the Lys Offensive, and there are a great many books about those, including Chris Baker's on the Lys attack. At the end of the war, the Division took part in the Battle of the Selle, and Peter Hodgkinson has lately published a book on that, so although there is no Divisional history as such, there will be mentions in a number of histories. 

This is on COPAC as being online at the British Library, but I can't find how you'd get hold of it. There's also a paper copy at Edinburgh University.

The command, the training, and the work of a field ambulance in France during the Great War : being the record of the 2nd/lst South Midland Field Ambulance, 61st (South Midland) Division, B.E.F.

Mackie, G. [author]

Thesis (M.D.)--University of Edinburgh, 1922.

And this is at the IWM:

The 61st Division in France and Flanders / compiled from official sources by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Both may or may not be informative but they're probably not casual reading material.

On 09/05/2019 at 13:32, Neill Gilhooley said:

I have never found much.

There is online, unnamed 'The 61st Division had the reputation of being a poorly performing formation. How did it acquire this reputation and was it a justified description?', 984318, MA
Dissertation, University of Birmingham'. I believe the author is on the forum.

Thanks Neil - I have that.

16 hours ago, paulgranger said:

Have a look at the Long Long Trail synopsis of the Division's actions during the war. They were first involved in the Battle of Fromelles in 1916, and there are a number of books about that, although they can be Australian-centric. In 1918, they were involved in the March Offensive, and the Lys Offensive, and there are a great many books about those, including Chris Baker's on the Lys attack. At the end of the war, the Division took part in the Battle of the Selle, and Peter Hodgkinson has lately published a book on that, so although there is no Divisional history as such, there will be mentions in a number of histories. 

Thanks Paul

6 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

That is a good find.

Very good find - thanks!

15 hours ago, seaJane said:

This is on COPAC as being online at the British Library, but I can't find how you'd get hold of it. There's also a paper copy at Edinburgh University.

The command, the training, and the work of a field ambulance in France during the Great War : being the record of the 2nd/lst South Midland Field Ambulance, 61st (South Midland) Division, B.E.F.

Mackie, G. [author]

Thesis (M.D.)--University of Edinburgh, 1922.

And this is at the IWM:

The 61st Division in France and Flanders / compiled from official sources by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Both may or may not be informative but they're probably not casual reading material.

Superb many thanks.