Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Pierrepont

Pauline Haycock

on 26 October 1918 Lt Pierrepont of the Leicestershire Regiment was decorated with the French Croix de Guerre in the Grand Place at Fresnoy le Grand.  My Uncle James Langham Whitworth was also decorated with the Croix de Guerre with silver star at the same time.  I have researched my uncle, but would like to trace the descendants of Lt Pierrepont.

On 11.11.2018 the town of Fresnoy le Grand honoured James Langham Whitworth in the ceremony to mark the end of WW1.  The town invited me to make a presentation in French at the  event. The town/French War Department restored Uncle Jim's medal as it was minus its ribbon and silver star. The town also provided accommodation for ten members of the Whitworth family.  There was a huge crowd present at the French Monument aux Morts and also at the British ceremony where the Whitworth family laid a poppy wreath at the memorial in the British Ceremony.  The march past was accompanied by French primary school children singing, "It's a long way to Tipperary.  

Uncle Jim's restored Croix de Guerre was ceremonially presented to his grandson.

Can anyone point me in a direction so that I may trace the descendants of Lt. Pierrepont.

Afterwards there was a huge banquet in the Salle de Fetes

Looking at the 1/5th Leics Battalion war diary, Lt. A D Pierrepoint took over B Company on 12th October 1918 after coming back from leave. His MIC shows him as Arthur Downing Pierrepont of 23A Peak Hill Gardens, Sydenham, SE26. He married Edith Joyce Harris in Jan 1918.. In May 1960 they are living at 213 S.Norwood Hill, SE25. He's a retired bank official. He died in March 1980. His last address was (suitably) Devonshire Court, Howden Road, Oadby, Leicestershire.

According to an Ancestry (public) family tree, there was one son, Alan Leslie Downing Pierrepont b. 1920 who married Joyce A Shore in 1941. There are two family trees with Alan dying in 1985 and 2005 in Madrid. I'll leave that for you to unravel!

Mike

Edited by Langdon

5 hours ago, Langdon said:

Looking at the 1/5th Leics Battalion war diary, Lt. A D Pierrepoint took over B Company on 12th October 1918 after coming back from leave. His MIC shows him as Arthur Downing Pierrepont of 23A Peak Hill Gardens, Sydenham, SE26. He married Edith Joyce Harris in Jan 1918.. In May 1960 they are living at 213 S.Norwood Hill, SE25. He's a retired bank official. He died in March 1980. His last address was (suitably) Devonshire Court, Howden Road, Oadby, Leicestershire.

According to an Ancestry (public) family tree, there was one son, Alan Leslie Downing Pierrepont b. 1920 who married Joyce A Shore in 1941. There are two family trees with Alan dying in 1985 and 2005 in Madrid. I'll leave that for you to unravel!

Mike

The birth of an Alan L D Pierrepont, mothers maiden name Harris, was registered with the Civil Authorities in the Lewisham District in Q2 1920.

The marriage of an Alan L.D Pierrepont to a Joyce A Shore was recorded in the Hendon District of Middlesex in Q2 of 1941.

An Alan Leslie Downing Pierrepont was commissioned in the Leicester Regiment, (Supplement to the London Gazette September 19th 1941. Service number was 203339). A Regimental Association may have contact details for a next of kin.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35278/supplement/5410/data.pdf

There are no obvious children registered in England & Wales with the surname Pierrepont, mothers' maiden name Shore. (Of course doesn't mean there aren't any - for a start this could have been Joyce Shores' second marriage).

There is no obvious death recorded in 1985 in England & Wales for an Alan Pierrepont..

The death of an Alan Leslie A D Pierrepont, aged 85 was reported to the Consular officials in Spain in 2005.

The UK Probate Office has a probate record for an Alan Leslie Anthony Downing Pierrepont, died 17th May 2005. That's an extra first name that has not cropped up before, but I can't find a matching birth in England & Wales, so likely to be the Lewisham born man who died in Spain.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=Pierrepont&SurnameGrants=Pierrepont&YearOfDeath=2005&YearOfDeathGrants=2005&IsGrantSearch=True&IsCalendarSearch=False#wills

That will cost to get a copy but at least that will tell you who sorted out the estate and who were the beneficiaries.

I can't see any estate claim notices in the London Gazette, and the Times Digital Vault website is down at the moment,

The death records available to me on a subscription genealogy site only go up to 2006 and there is no death of a Joyce A Pierrepont recorded in England & Wales or via an overseas consulate. I couldn't see a re-marriage either. There was a Joyce Pierrepont born 11th May 1920 whose death was recorded in the Nottingham District in Q4 of 1976. There is a probate calendar entry for a Joyce Pierrepont of 21 Stapleton Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, who died on the 11th November 1976.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

However the only likely birth of a Joyce A Shore in England and Wales was registered in Q1 of 1920 - so close, but not quite right. May be worthwhile checking the 1939 register to see if you can find her recorded as Shore, with hopefully the note that her surname was subsequently changed to Pierrepont - the Register was used as the basis for issuing I.D cards and ration books and post-war was the starting registry for the NHS, remaining in use until the 1990's.

Hope that helps,

Peter

• Admin

See also here

11 hours ago, PRC said:

The death records available to me on a subscription genealogy site only go up to 2006 and there is no death of a Joyce A Pierrepont recorded in England & Wales or via an overseas consulate. I couldn't see a re-marriage either. There was a Joyce Pierrepont born 11th May 1920 whose death was recorded in the Nottingham District in Q4 of 1976. There is a probate calendar entry for a Joyce Pierrepont of 21 Stapleton Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, who died on the 11th November 1976.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

However the only likely birth of a Joyce A Shore in England and Wales was registered in Q1 of 1920 - so close, but not quite right. May be worthwhile checking the 1939 register to see if you can find her recorded as Shore, with hopefully the note that her surname was subsequently changed to Pierrepont - the Register was used as the basis for issuing I.D cards and ration books and post-war was the starting registry for the NHS, remaining in use until the 1990's.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Took my own advice and checked out FindMyPast in the Library this morning when I had a fleeting visit. There was no obvious candidates in the search results for the 1939 National Register for a Joyce Shore born c1920 who went on to become Joyce Pierrepont. Could be wrong search criteria on my part, or an error in the original process or a transcription error now or the NHS may not have been informed of her death. However the most likely explanation probably lies in the way this source came into the public domain via a Freedom of Information Act request relating to its use as the original register for the National Health Service. In use until circa 1991 and updated with changes of name, in releasing it the Government decided that anyone on the register believed to still be a live at the time the register closed and who were under 100 at the time of release would have their records blacked out.

While it can't be taken as gospel, that would seem to imply that the Joyce who died in 1976 wasn't the wife of Alan.

Similarly here is no Alan Pierrepoint, (died 2005), to be found either.

Cheers,

Peter