Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20425 Worker Nellie Florence Ruby Rault QMAAC.

CorporalPunishment

In memory of Nellie Rault who died 100 years ago on the 9th of May 1919 and lies at rest in the churchyard of Saint Mary's Church, Haynes Church End, Bedfordshire. Nellie was attached to the RE at the Haynes Park Signal Depot and was employed there as a cook and was, by all accounts, a popular and well-liked young woman. Nellie was from St. Helier, Jersey and was 21 years old. She was last seen alive on the 9th of May and was reported as missing the following morning. Her body was discovered in woods near the camp and she had been brutally murdered having been stabbed several times to her chest and her back, there were signs she had put up a struggle but being just 5 feet tall she had stood no chance. A CSM, who I will not name out of respect for any living relatives he may have, was charged with her murder and was the only suspect as far as I can tell. At his trial his alibi was torn to shreds and he only got away with being charged on account of a lack of evidence. The Director of Public Prosecutions made it quite clear to the accused that he was in no doubt about who had committed the murder but that lack of evidence meant he had to abandon the trial against him and that was that. The suspect died in London in 1943 at the age of 54 and with the rank of Captain. As a Bedfordshire man I truly feel for Nellie and her family. She had originally joined the Womens Legion and had served her country well and for her to have died the way she did and in my home county as well, it truly saddens me. Rest In Peace Nellie.   Pete.

The CSM accused was a 1914 Star and clasp trio with MID in May 1917, MSM Jan 1919 and Belgian Decoration Militaire avec Croix de Guerre Oct 1919. He served in India in the 1920's and received an Indian General Service Medal with clasps, Waziristan 1919 -1921, Waziristan 1921 -1924 and Mahsud 1919-1921.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2019 at 14:56, ForeignGong said:

The CSM accused was a 1914 Star and clasp trio with MID in May 1917, MSM Jan 1919 and Belgian Decoration Militaire avec Croix de Guerre Oct 1919. He served in India in the 1920's and received an Indian General Service Medal with clasps, Waziristan 1919 -1921, Waziristan 1921 -1924 and Mahsud 1919-1921.

Peter

I have to admit I am somewhat puzzled by all this. All the evidence pointed to him being the killer and there was little doubt, if any at all, that it was him, but serious mistakes made during the investigation saved his neck. Nellie's clothing was destroyed prematurely and any evidence along with it, the Bedford CID got involved too late as Nellie's funeral had taken place by then, some serious blunders all in all. Frankly I do not see what his medal entitlement has to do with anything.  Pete.