Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why Dublin?

My grandfather, Sidney Charles Crutchley, was in the Royal Irish Rifles (service number 8232) from April 1915 until February 1919. Yesterday I found a document giving my grandmother, his wife, a child allowance only granted to serving soldiers. It was dated and stamped April 1921, Dublin. Why was Sidney in Dublin at this time and would he still have been with the RIR?

I notice on his Medal Card that he went to the B reserve on 25/2/19. The longlongtrail, this forum's mother site says

Section B Reserve
The most common form of army reserve service. For men who had completed their service in the regular army and were serving their normal period (typically of five years) on reserve. Section B reservists could only be called upon in the event of general mobilisation. Pay was 3 shillings and 6 pence a week.

Without seeing the doc difficult for us to say. 

Reservists were called out in April 1921 to deal with issues caused by a miners' strike. Possibly something to do with that

Welcome to the forum!

32 minutes ago, Barry Crutchley said:

My grandfather, Sidney Charles Crutchley, was in the Royal Irish Rifles (service number 8232) from April 1915 until February 1919. Yesterday I found a document giving my grandmother, his wife, a child allowance only granted to serving soldiers. It was dated and stamped April 1921, Dublin. Why was Sidney in Dublin at this time and would he still have been with the RIR?

Hi,

It might be worth applying to U.K. MOD to see if they still hold his service record.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Many Soldiers rejoined the Army after their post War discharge given their often poor economic conditions and prospects.

British soldiers were based in Ireland at the time and he would’ve likely been involved in the efforts to suppress the ongoing unrest.

Steve

The Irish regiments, for fairly obvious reasons, were not involved in "the efforts to suppress the ongoing unrest "

On 08/05/2019 at 18:41, corisande said:

The Irish regiments, for fairly obvious reasons, were not involved in "the efforts to suppress the ongoing unrest "

Quite right. Don’t know what I was thinking! Thanks for the correction.

Steve

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts. Below is the document I have with the stamp .........LAND BRIDGE, DUBLIN. I too thought it odd that the RIR should have been in Dublin at this time. Although enlisting with the RIR my grandfather had been born and bred in the Black Country and had never left the midlands until his regiment were sent to Greece in 1915. Dated 12th April 1921 adds further confusion. Perhaps, as has been suggested, he had rejoined the army after 1919.

sid.dublin.jpeg.c4c4f08fbde367e88f783de47d25cab3.jpeg 

The form comes from , and you can make it out at top right,

Infantry Records Office, Island Bridge, Dublin