Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Role of Dogs in the Great War

lowlyhistorystudent

10 hours ago, lowlyhistorystudent said:

Many thanks for this excellent information. Please could you tell me if I can get hold of the war diary online? 

Also, do you know where I might find more information like this e.g. from other brigade war diaries?

Many thanks.

I have downloaded all the relevant war diaries cited in my post.  Send me a PM with your email, give me a few days and I will email them (or if particularly large, give you a public link to download).

Cheers,

Bill

If you are looking at the use of dogs by Allied Forces then you could also consider the Vosges Front. The French imported over 400 huskies from Canada and Alaska. They were used especially in the winter periods to take pull materials up to the front and for evacuation of wounded. There are several articles on line in English and of course French.

One of the early problems in the use of the dogs is that they were use to taking commands in English,

There is a memorial to 1re and 2e sections d'équipages canins d'Alaska near Breitfirst, Vosges (not far from the route des Crêtes - the French transport route). The dogs were used in the Vosgien summits from December 1915 and based in kennels at le Tanet, which is a very windy, exposed and bitterly cold location. They were used for transporting food, munitions, various materials and for evacuating the wounded.

If you can read French, a search on poilus d'Alaska brings up lots of informative pages and some films.

Gwyn

Canins d'Alaska 1a.jpg

Canins 2a.jpg

Edited by Dragon

Please use the search function here on GWF for a lot of dog related information to include old posts about i.e. the Canadian huskies used in the Vosges mountain warfare 1915

Many thanks for all your replies. Very helpful.

I am working my way through no less than 90+ pages of search results for 'dogs' on the GWF! Very interesting reading.

Sadly some of the links on the old threads to other useful websites no longer work.

In particular :

http://community-2.webtv.net/Hahn-50thAP-K9/K9History/

And this one:

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/collection.asp

Does anyone know how I can access these websites now?

On 08/05/2019 at 16:00, lowlyhistorystudent said:

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am thinking of doing a dissertation on the role of dogs in WW1 and was wondering if anybody had any useful source material or knowledge on this topic. I have already got a copy of the book by Edwin Richardson. Particularly interested in soldiers' personal accounts of their interactions with dogs and any war diary entries that include information on how the dogs were used, or how they impacted the well-being of the men. I would appreciate any information on this topic.

Thanks,

lowlyhistorystudent

Hi,

not sure if this is what you are after but I came across this whilst researching. It does seem a bit strange (!!) and I wonder how accurate the story is, but related to dogs as requested!

DS.png.b3f5de807761931b288d3d2188305470.png

Taken from BritishNewspaperArchive

Edited by Chef_Hendrix

Fantastic, thank you Chef_Hendrix !

Could you tell me which newspaper that is from please as I have access to the BNA archives.

What search terms did you use as I have found lots of articles about war dogs on BNA but not come across this one?

Edited by lowlyhistorystudent

3 hours ago, lowlyhistorystudent said:

Fantastic, thank you Chef_Hendrix !

Could you tell me which newspaper that is from please as I have access to the BNA archives.

What search terms did you use as I have found lots of articles about war dogs on BNA but not come across this one?

Hi it was from the following newspaper, page 7 of 8

Newspaper: Berwickshire News and General Advertiser

Published: 27th Jul 1915 

I wasn't actually searching for anything dog related but family tree/local connections and just stumbled across this story and saved it to my "Saved" as I thought it was unusual.

Gaz

On 01/09/2019 at 01:02, WhiteStarLine said:

have downloaded all the relevant war diaries cited in my post.  Send me a PM with your email, give me a few days and I will email them (or if particularly large, give you a public link to download).

Hi, I would really like to access these war diaries you have mentioned.

• 1 month later...

Any interest in informations about the usage of dogs on the German side? Center of the dog training of the German Army was the "KHUS" = Kriegs Hunde Schule, being located in Hubertville, Alsace. Chief in Command was a certain 2nd Lt (!!) Hubertus Mueller who belonged to the "Reitende Feldjäger Korps". - The story of his success (and the one of his dogs) has been described in the autobiographical book "Verklungen Horn und Geläut".

Hello!

May be late to the party but have you also considered the medical dogs who went out with stretcher bearer teams to help locate casualties?

best wishes!FB_IMG_1571861590792.jpg.4e053069fe5cacda2b3a5a16f3afaf12.jpg

Edited by MrsT

There is a photo in a book (will try to find it?) of the Belgian army using dogs to pull machine guns early in the war. (I may have posted about this before.)

RM

• Admin
12 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

There is a photo in a book (will try to find it?) of the Belgian army using dogs to pull machine guns early in the war. (I may have posted about this before.)

RM

A Google Images search will give many examples of Belgian draft dogs pulling machine guns.  The British Army did not use draft dogs as they had been outlawed in London since 1839, and across the U.K. two years later.  Dog carts continue to be used for novelty and recreational purposes.

Our trainer uses two standard poodles to pull a miniature around but she acknowledges it’s not easy to train dogs to pull a cart.

Ken

5 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

A Google Images search will give many examples of Belgian draft dogs pulling machine guns.  The British Army did not use draft dogs as they had been outlawed in London since 1839, and across the U.K. two years later.

Ken

Thanks, Ken,

I still can't think what the book was.

RM

https://archive.org/details/wardogsofworldwa00ande/page/n1

War Dogs of the World War published by John I Anderson New York 1919

Mainly about French dogs

A book/books by Richardson has/have  been previously mentioned but perhaps it was not clear that these were different books. He wrote the following, available online

British War Dogs, their Training and Psychology by Lt.-Colonel E H Richardson, late Commandant of the British War Dog School. C 1920. Archive.org.

Forty Years With Dogs by E H Richardson 1935. Archive.org version, mirror from Digital Library of India.

Cheers

Maureen

• 1 month later...

Rin Tin Tin (the original) was a veteran of the GW  discovered in a bombed out German military kennel as a puppy, taken to the US by his new owner and when he finally  died in 1932 August 10th he had made a long list of popular movies. His remains I believe were later returned to France to an animal cemetery . His blood line is still available

khaki

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to all of you for your  latest contributions to my thread, I have been away from GWR for a while so only just found them. This continues to be a fascinating topic and I am finding out new information all the time. Any contributions to this subject are always welcome!  

Thanks in particular for the books that have been mentioned covering French and German war dogs, I had not come across those before.