Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this the dress uniform of the Middlesex Regiment?

David_Blanchard

I enclose two photographs of Isaac Wanstall ( I think) one on his wedding day and another - not sure if it’s the same man but the single photograph- is this the dress uniform of the Middlesex Regiment?

He was an Old Contemptible and later killed 1st July 1916

David 

12C485EA-D3FD-40FC-BB4D-BC320F6FC128.jpeg

FF7FB840-F160-4799-B6DE-5C2FD812DA01.jpeg

The top one shows someone in one of the rifle regiments, not the Middlesex. The lower one could be the Middlesex, who had white collars and cuffs.

Ron

Thanks for the information Ron.

David 

The first photo shows a Quarter Master Sergeant of a Rifle Volunteer unit, almost certainly in London.  As most such photos of Volunteers were taken locally, this seems very likely to be the 19th County of London (St Pancras) Battalion of the London Regiment: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_Battalion,_London_Regiment_(St_Pancras)

The other photo is quite possibly that of a soldier of the Middlesex Regiment.  Although as an English regiment they wore white facings (collar and cuffs) from 1881, by 1902 they had reverted to their previous, yellow facings and from the apparent tone and shade of the facings that is what we see here.

There does appear to be some facial resemblance between the two men but going by the likely dates I’m wondering if the Middlesex soldier might be the son of the Volunteer QMS.  These latter posts were generally filled by former regulars so there might perhaps be a familial connection with the Middlesex regiment.  The 19th London’s had previously been the 17th (North Middlesex) Volunteer Rifle Corps and then became a Volunteer Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment (retaining their rifle green uniform) until 1908, when they became a part of the London Regiment and gradually replaced their rifle green with scarlet.  With that in mind I think it likely that the QMS is shown at around the time of the 2nd Anglo/Boer War.  With the discontinuation of the London Regiment as a discrete, administrative body in 1916, the 19th London’s returned to their affiliation with the Middlesex Regiment.

There is an interesting study of the unit at this link: https://www.academia.edu/37410143/The_Changing_Character_of_the_London_Territorial_Force_1914-18_The_case_of_the_19th_County_of_London_Battalion_The_London_Regiment_St._Pancras_

9DFDA588-A403-4359-AA0F-4F0E26A51D0D.jpeg

61E676BB-D2FA-4066-8A34-59281A5F1A9F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Excellent thanks for your help with my enquiry

18 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

Excellent thanks for your help with my enquiry

Glad to help. He is a full corporal in his wedding photo.  Do you know what rank he was on the opening day of the Battle of the Somme, when he was killed?

12 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

He was a Sargeant 

That’s a great photo of him in the blue patrol frock/jacket of 1898 onwards.  At that time the sergeant’s scarlet worsted sash was only worn with scarlet and white upper garments, which remained the case until the 1920s.

Edited by FROGSMILE