Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Group photo, Royal Naval Division

daggers

The attached photo was among family photos and likely to include Lieut.Cmdr. G.G. Daglish RNVR who was OC 'D' Coy, Hood Battalion, wounded at Gallipoli.  Can anyone please throw any light on the mixture of uniforms, footwear etc.,and where it might have been taken?

Would the number of officers pictured (14) match the number in a company?

I realise that this section is for the Navy 'at sea', but where else should it go?

Daggers

CCC.jpg

The image resolution is too low to make out uniform/badge detail. However, that is not a company photograph. The officer complement of an RND battalion was thirty, Each company had (In 1914-15) a CO (Lt Cdr) a 2 i/c (Lt) and four platoon commanders (Sub Lt), so a company photograph would be six or seven officers.

I would date the image as possibly post-Antwerp (October 1914) and pre-MEF deployment (March 1915) and perhaps taken at Blandford.

Lt Cdr Daglish  was invalided home with "debility".

Edited by horatio2
Correction to wounding

Despite the blurriness the officer standing at the back 4th from the left looks very familiar. Probably a side-effect of uniform.

Cant see details but are any of the 3 "infantry officers" from regiments deployed in the 190th Brigade when the division relocated to F&F? (Artists Rifles, Bedfordshires, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, HAC from memory)

I'm sorry I do not have a better image.  The original is in France and was re-photoed for me.  I did wonder about the mixture of the kit on the 3.

D

37 minutes ago, steve fuller said:

Cant see details but are any of the 3 "infantry officers" from regiments deployed in the 190th Brigade when the division relocated to F&F? (Artists Rifles, Bedfordshires, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, HAC from memory)

The  mid-1916 composition of 189 Bde RND was: 7/Royal Fus., 4/Beds., 10/RDF and 1/HAC.

1916 would be too late for this image, in my opinion. I think the three "infantry officers" are naval officers of the RND in khaki uniform.

6 hours ago, horatio2 said:

I think the three "infantry officers" are naval officers of the RND in khaki uniform.

My feeling too horatio2.