Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Service number issue 231144

Blue Dragoon

Can anyone make an educated guess as to when RGA Service Number 231144 was issued to Archibald Marshman?

Many thanks

George

Does not answer question but re-enlisted as 1418100 RA 21/4/1920. Seems to have served until 1942. MoD retained records?

Good spot Mark many thanks.

At the moment I'm just entering 'RGA' as an 'exact' service record search on ancestry military records then plowing through the RGA entries to find someone who's number is close.  Is there an easier search method perhaps on other sites which picks up service numbers with records that might be close? 

Hi,

Perhaps restricting your numerical search initially to RGA numbers either side of 231144 on the MIC records only?

That should give you a list of names that you could then run through SWB records as they record date of enlistment.

Ancestry service record indexing is notoriously variable (poor data input) so I would go on to search service records (with name, regiment and Regimental Number) and pension records separately.

FMP has a more reliable search facility as their data input seems to be more accurate than Ancestry but has a restricted dataset.

Good Luck.

Steve

cheers steve I'll give it a go

Hi George,

On FMP it's usually quite easy, by using a partial wild card for the service number. For example from their search page, just enter...

image.png.df814661de348211eb7497aaadf535e0.png

That gives these results. You then have to go through the service records to check if the men had a six digit number - the search I set up will pick up 4,5 and 6 digit number hits. The quickest way to do that is by initially viewing the transcript. Then you can go in to the full record of any that you are interested in.

If you were to use the SWB method which Steve suggested, bear in mind it won't work if a man initially served in another regiment before transferring to the RGA. The record would show his RGA number, but the enlistment date will be that of his joining his initial unit.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Ah the FMP wildcard!!  That's a great tip. Cheers Chris

If one looks at FMP you will see his award for the Gallantry & Long Service medal, as well as his RA attestation. His original number was 203391 with the Hampshire Regt. He attested into the RGA on the 21st April 1920 being given 231144, and it wasn't until August of that year that they introduced the 7 digit renumbering.

Kevin

That's good stuff kev but a bit confused surely his MIC and MIR entries would have him in the RGA during the war not after it?  He did re-enlist into the arty in 1920 as a reservist I think.

Edited by Blue Dragoon

14 minutes ago, Blue Dragoon said:

That's good stuff kev but a bit confused surely his MIC and MIR entries would have him in the RGA during the war not after it?  He did re-enlist into the arty in 1920 as a reservist I think.

No, as he served his time during the war with the Hampshire Regt.. It was after his enlistment in the RGA that they compiled the rolls for his medal. I would suggest researching his Hampshire number.

I see you have edited your post. He did not re-enlist into the RGA as a reservist, but was on a 8 & 4 year regular service agreement, which he later extended. It's on his attestation if you look.

Kevin

ah got it, thanks for your patience Kev (and now got the attestation)

Edited by Blue Dragoon

2 hours ago, kevinrowlinson said:

If one looks at FMP you will see his award for the Gallantry & Long Service medal

Kev, can you send me a link to this entry on FMP? Only got the MIC and MIR entry for his ww1 campaign medals.  Cheers

Edited by Blue Dragoon

2 hours ago, Blue Dragoon said:

Kev, can you send me a link to this entry on FMP? Only got the MIC and MIR entry for his ww1 campaign medals.  Cheers

I mistakenly picked it up while quickly searching FMP, (I always use the NA for medal records) and is in fact the MIC. They transcribe them as Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards.

If you are a relative you could try and obtain his records from the MOD. The link is on the Long Long Trail. Also on FMP is an entry for an A. Marshman of the Hampshire Regt. from the National Roll of the Great War. No number given, but certainly a contender I would think. He lived at 10 Rivers St., Southsea.

Kevin

thanks kev, much appreciated