Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blowing up a church [Picture]

eisenbahn.tv

This is a reasonable sized church, so the town should be not that small. I tend to agree with SiegeGunner post 16 and considering the towns of that size affected by the German retreat of the operation Alberich in the Somme, Pas-de-calais and Aisne, there are a certain number of them but not that many. I have checked with many towns there but it doesn't match. The chimney and the architecture would make me think more of an industrial town somewhere north: Lens, Douai, Cambrai, St Quentin.

Still searching...

Sly

Edited by Sly

• 2 months later...
On 06/05/2019 at 21:00, eisenbahn.tv said:

Hello,

I've got this spectacular picture:

2019-04-04-0001.jpg.be3b203ce3b52107257c1fc2a97ce04c.jpg

No description. To my opinion the blast of the tower of a church by the germans in france is shown. Reason: Not to give a target point to the enemys artillery. (The towers were visably from quite a distance)

Anyone a idea, where this picture could be taken?

Gabriel

I've found it, it's Pont-à-Vendin. Allegedly an exploding grenade near the church in August 1917...

27 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

I've found it, it's Pont-à-Vendin. Allegedly an exploding grenade near the church in August 1917...

That's one big grenade. :wacko:

Craig

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

That's one big grenade. :wacko:

Craig

That's what the hand written caption says. I tend to believe it shows the church tower being blown up by the Germans as the front line was approaching at that point?