Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

64211 Pte Joseph T Nicholson KOYLI

Gardenerbill

Bought a damaged BWM for this soldier (see separate topic in medals)

I have a medal index card for him but as I don't currently have an active Ancestry or FMP account, please could someone have a look and let me know if there is a service record, then I can have a look on their next free weekend. 

Edited by Gardenerbill

FWR has only medal record-n.b. Joseph T

FMP also has medal index card

Ancestry has several J Nicholson but only one Medal index for JT-that I can see

George

Ancestry has MIC,entitled to pair. Medal roll Joseph Thomas Nicholson  15 Battalion K.O.Y.L.I. Possible pension card, Fold 3.

Bob

Hi

Medal award rolls show 64211 was posted to Z reserve 3.7.19.

Regards Barry

Here's a very, very long shot....a Joseph Thomas Nicholson b. 1890 died 3rd Jan 1963  Holywell, Flintshire, 8a,629..Probate   shows.. Ashfield Cottage, Grange Road, Holway Road,Holywell, Clwyd.   only 29 miles from Llangollen. His wife was Annie Clun Johns , she died in Wharfedale, Yorkshire in 1971. Her father died 1935 St.Asaph, Denbighshire......family connections?? Joseph and Annie were married Sept. 1919, Toxteth. Liverpool. 1939 register, Pork butcher in Holywell, Flintshire..........

Edited by The Inspector

Thanks Inspector,

I have been thinking about joining the WFA so I can access the pension records, these might make the connection to census records and BMDs etc.

Just to flag up some other possibles, although Joseph T Nicholson who died 29 miles from where the BWM was purchased seems a good call.

Restricting it to an exact search for "Joseph Thomas Nicholson"

1911 Census

Lancashire. Born 1893, Cumberland..

Northumberland. Born 1897 Durham. (Same info on 1901 census)

Civil Births

4th Qtr 1876, Lincoln

3rd Qtr 1880, Penrith (died as infant)

1st Qtr 1889, Liverpool

3rd Qtr 1892, Bootle (Cumberland) (as per 1911 census?) Died Sussex 1970

3rd Qtr 1896, Sunderland. (as per 1911 census?)

Medal Cards to Joseph T Nicholson

Service Number: 202430, 223981... Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment, Labour Corps

Service Number: 64211... Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Service Number: 32512... Regiment: York & Lancaster Regiment. Died 1917 Middle name Thompson

Service Number: 24937... Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

TEW

Thanks Tew,

52 minutes ago, TEW said:

although Joseph T Nicholson who died 29 miles from where the BWM was purchased seems a good call.

Except that the medal is damaged so could well have been in the hands of somone else entirely if the damage was deliberate.

With reference to the medal cards, I am 99% certain it is 64211 as this is quite clear on the medal edge.

Edited by Gardenerbill

4 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:
Thanks Tew,

Except that the medal is damaged so could well have been in the hands of somone else entirely if the damage was deliberate.

With reference to the medal cards, I am 99% certain it is 46211 as this is quite clear on the medal edge.

Suspect that's a typo 46211???  Yes, but the point was linking the medal to civil records. Can't find the probate for JTN who died 1963 Holywell. Probate of Annie Clun Nicholson who died In Yorkshire 8/5/1971 was taken in Llandaff, Cardiff. Two possible children from their marriage-

Leslie T 1920. Toxteth

Austin J 1922. Wirral

TEW

21 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Thanks Inspector,

I have been thinking about joining the WFA so I can access the pension records, these might make the connection to census records and BMDs etc.

That's great. The point you make about these pension records being a link between military records and family (eg census) records is one I've tried to reiterate on many occasions. Because, in many cases, the Ledgers and (soon to be published) cards record address and next of kin information this enables links between for example medal index cards and census records to be definitely made

20 hours ago, TEW said:

Suspect that's a typo 46211???  Yes, but the point was linking the medal to civil records. Can't find the probate for JTN who died 1963 Holywell. Probate of Annie Clun Nicholson who died In Yorkshire 8/5/1971 was taken in Llandaff, Cardiff. Two possible children from their marriage-

Leslie T 1920. Toxteth

Austin J 1922. Wirral

TEW

Hi All

The children are those quoted by Tew and also Marie b.1924-2004 (married name Boyes, 3 children) and John E. b. 5th Jan 1926 (1939 Register). The marriage cert. No is 8b,474, Toxteth Park, Liverpool,  July 1919. The probate is incorrectly registered in the 1993 records. Two public trees on Ancestry but none with further info. on Joseph Thomas Nicholson.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector