Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nutting

A recent purchase has raised a question about blades with 'dotted date' stamps, i.e. a two-digit date stamp preceded by a dot, not an apostrophe (see image below with '.99').

If you have a blade with a dotted date stamp, does your blade also have a back-to-back R (reduced in service status), double broad arrow (sold out of service) and/or repair stamp (e.g. crown/BR/12)?

Thanks,

Nigel.

fullsizeoutput_1755.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1756.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1757.jpeg

Edited by Nutting
Correction

Hey Nutting ,

The top mark looks like a back to back R to me on my P.1888 ( often wondered what it was ! ) ?

If so , that's two of the three . There is a 99 stamp on the other side , but there is a inspection mark near by , so difficult to see if there is a dot ! Such a jumble of markings , I need a eye glass to sort them out , then its not easy !

Didn't bother with a photo , but after seeing how this one has come out , might be worth a try .     DD

P88 1.JPG

2 hours ago, DorsetDan said:

Hey Nutting ,

The top mark looks like a back to back R to me on my P.1888 ( often wondered what it was ! ) ?

If so , that's two of the three . There is a 99 stamp on the other side , but there is a inspection mark near by , so difficult to see if there is a dot ! Such a jumble of markings , I need a eye glass to sort them out , then its not easy !

Didn't bother with a photo , but after seeing how this one has come out , might be worth a try .     DD

P88 1.JPG

Hi Dan,

Nice photo.  Yes, looks like double R and double broad arrow.  A photo of the opposite face would be good.  Anything on the visible edges of the tang? 

Nigel

No problem Nigel , i'll get technical support ( Mrs DorsetDan ) to take a photo of the other face , but as I said its a bit of a jumble , with a lot of stamps in a small area , but if you are used to looking at them , you may be able to untangle.

Yes the tang is marked , I think from memory its  E    4/92   and a very faint number ? , but i'll confirm with a photo .

Will get photo's posted tomorrow morning.    DD

1 hour ago, DorsetDan said:

No problem Nigel , i'll get technical support ( Mrs DorsetDan ) to take a photo of the other face , but as I said its a bit of a jumble , with a lot of stamps in a small area , but if you are used to looking at them , you may be able to untangle.

Yes the tang is marked , I think from memory its  E    4/92   and a very faint number ? , but i'll confirm with a photo .

Will get photo's posted tomorrow morning.    DD

Dan,

Look forward to new photos (one of the tang marks would be useful, as well as the ricasso).

Nigel.

Morning Nigel ,

Sorry false alarm , got a powerful eye glass on the markings when we did the photos and i'am pretty sure the 99 has a apostrophe ! so looks like only two of the three required markings on my example .

My interpretation with the aid of the eye glass and a lot of squinting is from top to bottom -

V.R. crown

Original date  11 / 88 or 89

Left side of ricasso  93  '98  9E  crown/4/E

Right side of ricasso  95  94  '99  8E  and two more faint crown type inspection marks ?

Not such a good photo this time ( i've had a word with the tech dept. ) taken inside , but you should be able to pick the clearer markings out .   DD

P88 2.JPG

Sorry again ,forgot to include tang markings !

E ( in the shadow , near muzzle ring )     4 / 92    a couple of very faint no. 31 or 51 ?

Enjoy  DD

P88 R.JPG

Morning Nigel ,

Sorry false alarm , got a powerful eye glass on the markings when we did the photos and i'am pretty sure the 99 has a apostrophe ! so looks like only two of the three required markings on my example .

My interpretation with the aid of the eye glass and a lot of squinting is from top to bottom -

V.R. crown

Original date  11 / 88 or 89

Left side of ricasso  93  '98  9E  crown/4/E

Right side of ricasso  95  94  '99  8E  and two more faint crown type inspection marks ?

Not such a good photo this time ( i've had a word with the tech dept. ) taken inside , but you should be able to pick the clearer markings out .   DD

Dan,

That’s a real crop of markings.  The bayonet must have been in and out of the stores more than it was on active duty!

N.

Sorry again ,forgot to include tang markings !

E ( in the shadow , near muzzle ring )     4 / 92    a couple of very faint no. 31 or 51 ?

Enjoy  DD

P88 R.JPG

Dan,

There’s a single letter stamp on the tang of all three of my 88s, but I haven’t seen an issue-type marking like your 4/92 on a tang so far (in my defence, I’m new to the game).  Presumably someone decided that there wasn’t enough room on the ricasso.  Thanks for the photos.

N.

No worries Nigel , hope you find an answer to your original question some where !

No wonder my example was 'sold out of service' they couldn't afford the repair bills.

All the best and good bayonet hunting     DD