Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private/Bandsman, 7182, Arthur Roderick O'Connor, Royal Munster Fusiliers

cherylo

I have established that Arthur O'Connor was with this unit at Etreux, as his name appears on an army service numbers list

for captured servicemen and ICRC records for POW's. I have been unable to locate (as yet) which camp he was sent to in Germany, or if he

survived the war. On searching the Long, Long Trail, realise that this might prove difficult to establish.

I an effort to further understand conditions for these men, I am currently reading Report on the Transport of British

POWs into Germany and Wilkinson's British prisoners of War in First World War Germany, but feel that knowing

the particular camp he was sent to, would provide more focus for my reading.

Would appreciate any information, or suggestions as to where I might try next, or any information about Bandsmen

serving at this time. Many thanks, cherylo

Hi

His medal records provide the answers. 

Bandsman Arthur Roderick O’Connor entered the theatre of war - 13/08/1914. 

He was a POW at Senne camp. He survived the war and was demobilised on 31/03/1920. 

I did brief search for his pow records on this Site  but could not find them. 

I would suggest a more thorough search using variations of “O’Connor” spelling will probably locate his records.

Hi,

Many thanks for this information, especially the camp. 

Will have another look for his record.

cherylo

It is very likely (assuming O’Connor was Irish ) that he was moved from Senne to Limburg. The Germans began to concentrate Irish POW’s together in Limburg in late 1914, in a failed attempt to enlist Irish soldiers to the German cause. 

There is a very good website   on the subject by a GWF member 

Hello,

With the suggestions provided, have now located print out for WWI Service Medals and Award Rolls, so thanks for this and the description for Sennelager.

Don't know if he had an Irish background, but Arthur was born in the Parish of St Saviour in Surrey on 25 May 1887 and appears on the 1911 Census at

Jellalabad Barracks, Tidworth, in Wiltshire, with the Munsters.

As a Bandsman, what would he have been required to do in France? Were these privates required to serve with everyone else?

In reading about Etreux, the name Captain Jervis cropped up a number of times. Is there a connection?

Thanks

Cheryl

As he then was, Captain Herbert Jervis was a company commander in 2nd Battalion Munsters taken prisoner on 27 August 1914 who was repatriated in August 1918.  He later became Lieutenant Colonel.

Bandsmen were employed, within their own battalion normally, as stretcher bearers and in other duties assisting the medics.

Max

On 09/05/2019 at 13:53, Jervis said:

It is very likely (assuming O’Connor was Irish ) that he was moved from Senne to Limburg. The Germans began to concentrate Irish POW’s together in Limburg in late 1914, in a failed attempt to enlist Irish soldiers to the German cause.  

There is a very good website   on the subject by a GWF member 

I never did discover any complete lists of Irish POWs arriving at Limburg as part of the Casement process of recruitment. Apart from the few that joined the Irish Brigade, it was only very few others who were mentioned in the various bits of correspondence

Capt Jervis' POW record is here:https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/217542/3/2/

Added - Herbert Swynfen Jervis commissioned into the Munsters 16 Feb 1898 (Army list)  Married 1907 in India, born in Weston super Mare 1879, father Colonel ex Munster Fusiliers.  The war diary has a personal account of the rearguard action at Etreux by Captain Gower.

Max

Edited by MaxD

On 15/05/2019 at 06:34, cherylo said:

In reading about Etreux, the name Captain Jervis cropped up a number of times. Is there a connection?

Hi Cheryl.

No. There is no connection to me. Not officer material. :D

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Thanks so much for previous answers, but I now have another question regarding Arthur O'Connor

if you can help please?

I am in the process of reading Captain S. McCance's volumes "History of the Royal Munster Fusiliers" 1927

but can't locate (as yet) any references to Arthur O'Connor 7189, either in the Batt. lists, award lists, index etc.

As he was at Tidworth, presumably he went to Aldershot with 2nd Batt. before they went across to France,

or as a Bandsman, by another means?

It seems such a comprehensive piece of work, would there have been any reason for Arthur O'Connor not

to have been included, or is it that I just haven't located him as yet?

Many thanks

Cheryl

5 hours ago, cherylo said:

It seems such a comprehensive piece of work, would there have been any reason for Arthur O'Connor not

to have been included, or is it that I just haven't located him as yet?

There were thousands of men in RMF, and unless a man did something of comment, then he will not be mentioned.

I have not read that book on RMF, but have similar volumes on RDF and whilst including many names, they do not by any means attempt to include all

Hi and many thanks for reply. At least I know I may not have missed him.

Still, useful volumes especially Vol. 2. which retraces movements

of Regiment leaving England and going on to Etreux where he was

captured with so many others.

Thanks again

Cheryl