Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this uniform

I'm trying to identify the person in this photo that I inherited from my Grandmother. Identifying the rather distinctive uniform would be a good start for me as it might give me some lead as to where the solder came from. it would be so nice to be able to find out about him and keep his story for the family. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Either Thomas or Henry George Williams 1910.JPG

Royal Horse Artillery.

Scan0227.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Yes, RHA.  Here in colour.

06F89C99-0F26-4C65-AD8F-82E8C61E919D.jpeg

22ED4EFA-8F0D-4D1F-A807-64A2D4AE1B80.jpeg

C6DFF4BC-4322-41E5-851A-C2C3BA81F5EE.jpeg

67EFDA06-46BC-4C41-A2B2-4BE2A9A89182.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all so much.  I have managed to locate the person in the photo.  He is my Great Uncle, Thomas Lindsey , a driver in the Royal Field Artillery, who died at Ypres during the second battle for Ypres on the 25th May, 1915. Apparently this was the first time the Germans used mustard gas, so I'm just hoping that he was shot rather than suffering this awful death.

Again many thanks

1 minute ago, sheilarw1951 said:

Thank you all so much.  I have managed to locate the person in the photo.  He is my Great Uncle, Thomas Lindsey , a driver in the Royal Field Artillery, who died at Ypres during the second battle for Ypres on the 25th May, 1915. Apparently this was the first time the Germans used mustard gas, so I'm just hoping that he was shot rather than suffering this awful death.

Again many thanks

The RHA were a subdivision of the RFA at that time Sheila and a soldier might over a long career move between the two, as seems to have been the case with your Great Uncle.

Are you aware that the service record for Thomas Lindsey 66245 survives ? Here is the link to FindmyPast but you should also find it on Ancestry.

It shows he joined in July 1911 and served with 37 Battery RFA. He was then transferred on completing 3 years to the Reserve in July 1914. But almost immediately recalled in August at outbreak of war where he joined the RFA again and with which he served until killed 25/5/15.

So I see no service in an RHA unit, only RFA. Are you sure the photo is of him ? Do you have a date for the photo?

Charlie

Good stuff Charlie, if he did not serve with any unit but the RFA, then as you implied the photo is most probably of someone else.  The RHA uniform was unique to them as you know.

Hi

Is it even a WW1 uniform, or pre-WW1?

regards

Robert

4 hours ago, rksimpson said:

Hi

Is it even a WW1 uniform, or pre-WW1?

regards

Robert

It was the full dress uniform until wide scale withdrawal in 1914.

12 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

It looks to be the tudor crown rather than victorian on the ball buttons but what do you think?

Yes, I agree, which narrows the date to 1902-1914.