Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Vessels requisitioned by Admiralty

hen190782

Good Morning

As part of research about the Workman Clark shipyard in Belfast and its employees in the Great War, we want to identify merchant vessels made in that shipyard which were requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as Armed Merchant Cruisers, transports, hospital ships, "Q-ships", etc.

I would be grateful for advice as to whether there are any websites/sources that list requisitioned ships.

Thanks,

Nigel

1 minute ago, horatio2 said:

For British Warships you could start at this website - http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishShips-Dittmar1.htm 

This lists them all alphabetically in three batches. You can search each batch using the "Find" (Ctrl F) function using the search term "WORKMAN". The A-G batch registers 20 hits for "Workman Clark".

Thanks, Horatio.

I won't be able to get to it for a couple of days, but I should be able to provide a number of merchant ship names.  Stay tuned.

Regards,

Ralph

Nigel,

Attached is a text file listing merchant ships hired for government service during 1914-18.  Further details, such as dates of service periods and rates of hire, can be found in the Service List (available on Ancestry).  This does not include vessels taken up in the Liner Requisition Scheme, though many of the ships listed here were later moved to the Liner List.

I expect there are a few ships missing.  If you spot any errors or omissions I'd be interested to hear of them.

Regards,

Ralph

workman_clark_list_20190507.txt

57 minutes ago, Ralph Currell said:

Nigel,

Attached is a text file listing merchant ships hired for government service during 1914-18.  Further details, such as dates of service periods and rates of hire, can be found in the Service List (available on Ancestry).  This does not include vessels taken up in the Liner Requisition Scheme, though many of the ships listed here were later moved to the Liner List.

I expect there are a few ships missing.  If you spot any errors or omissions I'd be interested to hear of them.

Regards,

Ralph

workman_clark_list_20190507.txt 4.33 kB · 10 downloads

Thanks, Ralph, I we have any others, I will pass details on to you.

Nigel