Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surgeon Roger Buddle RN - service record?

seaJane

I know this man was a surgeon RN who served in the Great War because his obituary says so, both in the JRNMS and the BMJ (not sure whether Rodger for Roger is a JRNMS typo or not). I have found him in Keyes's Ostend and Zeebrugge April 23: 10 May, the dispatches ... , and in Alexander Scrimgeour's Small scribbling diary as a shipmate aboard CRESCENT. He is in Simon Eyre's Surgeons of the Royal Navy in the First World War, with a complete service history. I have found him in the Navy List.

But I can't find his GW service record. He seems to have re-joined the RN in 1921 and I am wondering whether as a Temporary Surgeon he had no official record for the 1914-1919 period, or whether the early period will still be attached to the WW2 record.

Any ideas?

He came from Auckland NZ and graduated from Otago. The photo that used to be attached to his entry in the Auckland Online Cenotaph isn't his (US Army uniform and dated 1943, 3 years after he died) and has been removed. There are a couple of details of ships attached to the record: http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/84288. My own photo of the obituary in the library copy of the JRNMS:-

Buddle.jpg

Edited by seaJane
additions

I cannot find a record of service. The Medal Roll entry for him is as Surgeon Lieutenant RN OBE. His 1914-15 Star trio of WW1 medals was issued to him when he was serving in HMS HAWKINS post-war. The log of HAWKINS records Surgeon Lieutenant Commander R BUDDLE joining the ship at Hong Kong (with a number of other officers) on 20 April 1921. The officers all joined from the P&O ship SS DEVANHA which arrived HK that day - presumably ex-UK. HAWKINS re-commissioned the following day. His name does not feature in the log thereafter,

Edited by horatio2

Very much obliged to you, horatio2.

He was looking after the RN SIck Quarters at Singapore in 1929 when he wrote Snakes of Singapore Island, so I assume he made his way there from Hong Kong by other means, perhaps after a posting at the RN Hospital.

seaJane,

I have found the following for Roger Buddle [Tempy.] Surgeon/Surgeon Lieutenant R.N., from Navy Lists but there could be gaps.

His name is always Roger in these lists and his seniority is 5.8.14.

1914 [corrected to 18th November].

HMS GRAFTON, appointed 2.9.14.

1915 [corrected to 18th September].

HMS CUMBERLAND, appointed 7.1.15.

1916 [corrected to 18th November].

HMS VALIANT, appointed 19.6.16.

1917 [corrected to 18th October].

HMS SOUTHAMPTON, appointed 3.6.17.

1918 [December].

HMS SEYMOUR, appointed November 1918.

ARABIS.

Arabis,

That is really incredibly kind of you to put your time and effort towards this! Thank you so much.

For your amusement, here is a shot from my copy of Scrimgeour's Small Scribbling Diary, paperback p.269:

Screenshot_20190504_230511.jpg

Edited by seaJane

A couple of additions to  ARABIS' Post #4. From ships' logs: HMS CRESCENT 3/9/1914 embarked Surg Buddle from HMS GRAFTON in the North Sea; HMS CUMBERLAND 16/6/1916 discharged Surg Buddle to RN Barracks, Devonport..

And thank you likewise horatio2. 

I wish I could do something concrete by way of saying thank you :)