Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC 1 The Repair Shop War Office Pattern Helmet

mark holden

My wife alerted me to this episode of the repair shop which features the 'sympathetic' restoration of a War Office Pattern helmet. I thought it interesting as the helmet retains its original unit and 29th Div painted markings. I am not sold on the restoration! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0004pb8/the-repair-shop-series-4-episode-24

Regards

Mark

I saw it yesterday, better than the piece of string but just not right. No mention of possible asbestos, but was that the reason the whole thing wasn't taken apart and replaced/restored properly? Nice to see they didn't alter or tamper with the outside though.

Excellent job on the Spurs.

Dave.

I enjoy this program, often watching it last thing at night but was surprised 'Suzie' did not make the chinstrap from a worn/aged piece of leather- and why black? Did the War Office pattern use an asbestos sheet? I also doubt the dent was the one mentioned in the diary. I've not heard of use in Galipoli- too early? Regards, Paul.

This programme worries me. Given that the time slot is early evening (it's on before Pointless) it's a very 'generalist' programme, not aimed at any specific audience group. The items brought in for restoration run the gamut of old things that might be family heirlooms.

As a result, none of the restorers are (I assume) experts in a field, so their restorations are likely to be less-than specific to the item concerned.

Additionally, one assumes there are time and cost constraints. I assume that we (the licence fee payer) are funding this. Result: restorations are rushed and kept to a price so again, not receiving the full love and care really required.

Remember Challenge Aneka back in the good old days? Everything done to a price and a timescale with the result that many projects required major after-care (I remember a dogs' home they built which, I heard later, needed pretty-well demolishing and rebuilding).

The confusion over a steel helmet at Gallipoli rather sums it up: an expert would never allow that sort of schoolboy error.

And don't even start me on the twee set-up, soft-focus camera work and Speilberg-style mawk-session at the end of each programme.

• Admin

I haven't seen this episode yet, but in general I think the restorers do a great job, always impressed with the outcome. Factual accuracy may be down to the programmer's own researchers?

14 hours ago, Wardog said:

I enjoy this program, often watching it last thing at night but was surprised 'Suzie' did not make the chinstrap from a worn/aged piece of leather- and why black? Did the War Office pattern use an asbestos sheet? I also doubt the dent was the one mentioned in the diary. I've not heard of use in Galipoli- too early? Regards, Paul.

I thought she made a a good job on the helmet but as you say Wardog, the chinstrap should have been brown. Also the buckle appeared to be brass and not steel.

Bearing in mind it was an early War Office Pattern with the first type liner, the chinstrap should have been two piece with a pin on the buckle.

I also thought the Gallipoli connection was too early. I think the first Brodies were issued on the Western Front in late 1915.

Unless I missed something, I'm puzzled as to why you would want to 'repair' such items? If they were my family heirlooms I would want them to remain in the condition they were handed down to me.

4 hours ago, LEUZEWOOD said:

Unless I missed something, I'm puzzled as to why you would want to 'repair' such items? If they were my family heirlooms I would want them to remain in the condition they were handed down to me.

I agree

On 04/05/2019 at 10:54, Steven Broomfield said:

This programme worries me. Given that the time slot is early evening (it's on before Pointless) it's a very 'generalist' programme, not aimed at any specific audience group. The items brought in for restoration run the gamut of old things that might be family heirlooms.

As a result, none of the restorers are (I assume) experts in a field, so their restorations are likely to be less-than specific to the item concerned.

The confusion over a steel helmet at Gallipoli rather sums it up: an expert would never allow that sort of schoolboy error.

And don't even start me on the twee set-up, soft-focus camera work and Speilberg-style mawk-session at the end of each programme.

Spot on!

• 1 year later...
On 04/05/2019 at 10:54, Steven Broomfield said:

Additionally, one assumes there are time and cost constraints. I assume that we (the licence fee payer) are funding this. Result: restorations are rushed and kept to a price so again, not receiving the full love and care really required.

I have been told that if an item is selected to be, and is, on the programme there is no charge to the owner. Otherwise, the owner is charged.